Views
Helpful
Replies

Directory Expressway vs Lync Expressway Servers

asherif82
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are integrating Lync 2013 with Expressway for one of our customers. I have checked the "Cisco-Expressway-Microsoft-Lync-Deployment-Guide-X8-2" guide and found out that you can deploy it either with Lync Expressway or with Directory expressway in conjunction with lync expressway.

I got to know that directory is using CPL to split IM&P and A/V to be send to a particular instants such as IMP or Unified CM, However I can see that if deploying Expressway Lync without directory you can do the same function presence and A/V.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Amr Sherif

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Not quite sure what you are asking here..could you please elaborate? If you are asking if you can get away using just a Lync Expressway, then yes its possible. The use case where you need the directory gateway is to have IM/P federation between Cisco IM/P and Lync. It simplifies the need to have multiple buddies in your Lync contact list (1 for IM and 1 for audio/video) for a single user.

Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Not quite sure what you are asking here..could you please elaborate? If you are asking if you can get away using just a Lync Expressway, then yes its possible. The use case where you need the directory gateway is to have IM/P federation between Cisco IM/P and Lync. It simplifies the need to have multiple buddies in your Lync contact list (1 for IM and 1 for audio/video) for a single user.

Please rate useful posts.

Thanks George this is what I was looking for :)

Hello,

Is there any more documentation on how to configure directory expressway apart that very vague paragraph in the Expressway deployment guide?

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/config_guide/X8-2/Cisco-Expressway-Microsoft-Lync-Deployment-Guide-X8-2.pdf

How should the typical config look like on directory expressway? what other zones to configure? should Unified communication be configured on it? etc. I'd appreciate for a config example of directory expressway for Lync video and Lync intradomain partitioned federation.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: