Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Directory Numbers / Outgoing Calls

Hello everyone,

Good day!

I was advised to configure IP Phones with DNs ranging from 1900 - 1999, it was said that those ext numbers were contracted to a Telco.

Are those what they call "trunk lines"?

From outside, you can call us via 622 + (1900 - 1999) and you will be directly routed to the specific phones with those ext # configured on them.

Now, all of those direct ext numbers are consumed and additional IP Phones are to be configured with 20xx local ext numbers.

From outside, you cannot directly call those ext numbers 20xx, you need to call ext numbers 19xx and you can be forwarded to 20xx ext #s.

Internal calls are fine between 19xx and 20xx

The problem is that 20xx cannot make outgoing calls while 19xx can.

My questions are:

Are there any additional configurations needed to provide the local ext numbers (20xx) with outgoing calls?

Or, is there a procedure needed for local ext numbers (20xx) to gain outgoing calls?

(If there is, where can this be viewed? I didn't make the initial config of the Call Manager BE6K)

Or, is this the limitation of local ext number (20xx), to be restricted on making outgoing calls?

Any insights on this one is greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Cheers,

Art

Network Engineer
Net Pacific Philippines
CCNA R&S
CSCO12379161       

Network Engineer Net Pacific Philippines CCNA R&S CSCO12379161
5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The phone does not need a DID to be able to dial out, make sure it has proper Calling Search Spaces defined on the device and DN, as well as device pool if you are using local route group routing (compare to working ones). If that is the same you will need to provide us with debugs from the voice gateway, so let us know if you have a PRI, SIP trunk or POTS lines.

HTH,

Chris

Hi sir Chris,

Thank you so much for your response.

When I checked out the DN config of phones with direct lines (19xx) I saw that it has an input of 662XXXX on the "External Phone Number Mask" which I thought that 662 (company line) XXXX (4 digit directline).

Now, I tried to place the same input 662XXXX on the local phones (20xx) and check if it could make an outgoing call but unfortunately it didn't.

Upon several minutes of thinking, I thought to edit the phone mask input 662XXXX and insert in between a 19xx direct line and give it a try.

For example, I used the direct ext number 1998, on the phone mask box of a 20xx IP Phone, I placed 6621998XXXX and gave it a try.

In theory it goes like this: 662 (Company line) > 1998 (Direct line) > XXXX (Local line of 20xx) 

The local line (20xx) will be using or will pass thru a Direct line (19xx) to make an outside call.

I gave it a shot and it worked!! Yeah!!

I made several testings, I tried to make an outside call using the IP Phone with ext 1998 and while on the line I used the local 20xx which I configured with 6621998XXXX to make another outside call.

On my expectation, the call from the 20xx should not go thru. It should have resulted to a "busy tone" or "cannot make this call" message or even cut the line of 1998.

But it didn't! Both outgoing calls from 1998 and 20xx are on the line simultaneously!

I tried it vice versa, first made an outgoing call using the 20xx that I configured, then while on the line I used the ext 1998 phone and made another outgoing call and they both ran at the same time!

It didn't cut the line of 20xx, it didn't result to a busy tone or a "cannot make this call" message.

Internal calls are good too, you can call directly either way just by dialling their 4 digit extension numbers.

*But still, those IP Phones with 20xx cannot receive direct calls like before. Outside callers would still need to contact a 19xx then it can forward it to a 20xx phone.

Sir Chris, I would need your insight regarding this one. I may have skipped something important or maybe there might be a drawback for this.

Or, you may have other suggestions that is much better.

Thank you so much in advance.

Kind regards,

Art

Network Engineer
Net Pacific Philippines
CCNA R&S
CSCO12379161

If a phone does not have a DID, you only have two options.

Either have people reach them from an AA

Or, keep them like that, and use a DID and a translation pattern to reach them directly.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

So the only issue that remains is:

*But still, those IP Phones with 20xx cannot receive direct calls like before. Outside callers would still need to contact a 19xx then it can forward it to a 20xx phone.

(correct?)

with direct calls, do you mean from outside callers into any phone that is on the 20xx range?

You might need to check the gateway that connects cucm to the PSTN and chech the dial peers. Or at least check the place where you are stripping digits from 7 to 4. If that makes sense

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all the information that you have provided!

If so happen that I bump into something new then I hope you guys would kindly help me again.

Again, thanks and have a great day!

Cheers,

Art

Network Engineer
Net Pacific Philippines
CCNA R&S
CSCO12379161

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: