Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS SRV records for MRA expressway deployment

Hello, planning a deployment of Expressway with MRA services enable and reviewing the DNS SRV records requirements, I notice that on the DNS server of the network, there are already _sip and _sips records with a target host for microsoft services, which won´t necessary be the same service active as with expessway deployment, for now.

My question is about DNS server configuration, how could I add a new SRV _sip and _sips record with target host of expressway-e without affecting actual services??  I understand that the priority and weight values are for HA deployments, but what are the best practices for this cases??

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

10 Replies 10

AFAIK there is no need for you to have any SRV records for neither _sip or _sips with MRA. Could you please point out the part in documentation where you found that?

Response Signature

The sip and sips DNS entries (and the H323 ones listed in the first example) are used for VCS Expressways that are providing B2B calling through the Expressway-E. If your Expressway pair is providing MRA services only, you will not need the sip or sips DNS records.

The other link is to a discussion of DNS for MRA but does not fully quote the deployment documents. The deployment guide states:

Public DNS (External Domains)

The public, external DNS must be configured with _collab-edge._tls.<domain> SRV records so that endpoints can discover the Expressway-Es to use for Mobile and Remote Access. You also need SIP service records for general deployment (not specifically for MRA).

If you look at the deployment guides for Expresssways (generically, not specifically for MRA deployments) it says about sips DNS entries:

Discover destination for calls to third-party standards-based infrastructure domain. (Outside of your control, but needs to be there for federation to succeed.

Here is a link to the deployment guide for MRA 12.5. That is your best source for information and guidance:

Mobile and Remote Access Through Cisco Expressway Deployment Guide (X12.5): MRA Infrastructure Requirements  

Maren

Hello Maren, ok I wasn't clear enough and also I´m confuse about the correct term, using for general deployment (B2B), what is the solution for DNS server configuration when there is already a SRV _sip and _sips record and want to add another record with expressway-e as the target?  The other record is for MS services.

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

I don’t think you have any options for your situation with two different services needing to have SRV records for the same protocols. Not with both of them in the same domain. What you could do is to adopt your configuration to put the services into different domains.

Response Signature

This is the only thing which I saw at a customer who was using Lync "_sipfederationtls._tcp" in public DNS. can I know what service MS uses with  SIP and SIPS. 

Response Signature

Jabber register would be MRA. I think there are some confusion on terminology on your end.

Response Signature

_sips._tcp & _sip._tcp on PUBLIC DNS is for B2B call.

if u are looking for MRA, u need _collab-edge._tls on PUBLIC DNS.

Response Signature

Thank you all for your comments, even with my problem of terminology about it.

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: