cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do you need trunk access codes with 10 digit dialing?

mtmachen
Level 1
Level 1

I asked this question in the webcast but felt like a follow-up discussion is in order.  We have several sites that are migrating to centralized UCM.  Some sites have different legacy trunk access codes.  In our new setup, all extension (DNs) will be 10 digits and will require our users to dial 10 digit to external and off-site locations eliminating the need for site codes.  I don't see the need for even having a trunk access code since all dialing will be 10 digit.  Make the UCM determine proper routing decisions by the number dialed.

What are your opinions?

1 Reply 1

mharper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a colleague who designed a 10 digit dial plan for a bank with 40K IP Phones last year. They decided to not use an access code for PSTN calls, therefore 10 digit would be either a DN or PSTN number. They used * as access code for same site extension dialing.  Initially they were concerned about not having 9 as access code for PSTN calls but it is working very well and the end users like it better. It is like dialing from a cell phone, no access code and only 10 digit dialing for everything.

To route calls they used a translation for same site ( *XXXX) dialing. Every 10 digit call tries numbers on the cluster, then other clusters via GK and if the call is rejected it is sent to the PSTN.

So yes it can and is being done.

regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: