Replies

DSP Capacity

fdelgado5
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team:

I plan to have a 2811 with

VIC2-4FXO=,  VIC-4FXS/DID=, VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1=

I also plan to have 2 G711 conferencing resources.

Now when I go to the DSP calculator it tells me I need a PVDM2-48.  Ok how is this calculated?

Please keep in the mind that the dsp tool allows me to increase all the way up to 8 G711 conf before requesting the pvdm2-64.

My guess, pvdm2-48 = 16 x 16 x 16

16 for = 4fx0 & 4fxs, spare 8

16 + 16 = 32 for = 1mft-t1/e1 = spare 8

It was my understanding that these additional resources could not be used for conferencing?

I then tested to see what would happen if I increased by adding another  4 port analog card and then it requested a PVDM2-64.

I would have thought it would have cut my conf resources in half but instead just by adding 1 more it still requests a PVDM-64.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

hattingh
Level 1
Level 1

There are many rules governing how the DSPs are allocated. One rule applicable here is that conf and voice termination (the FXO and T1/E1 ports) cannot share DSPs, conferencing on the PVDM2s require a dedicated DSP (this is not true for the PVDN3s where they can share). Further, the number of services/channels per DSP is a mathematical calculation of how much "resources" each DSP has and how much resources each call type (voice termination, xcoding, conf of a particular size and codec, encrypted calls etc.) requires.

In your particular case, assuming all G.711, you voice termination channels add up to 32 (8 analog and 24, assuming T1, digital). This by itself requires 2 DSPs, which is a PVDM2-32 with no spare capacity. For your 2 conferences you now need another DSP, so you need to go up to a 3 DSP PVDM, the first of which is the PVDM2-48. You could add more confs to this (up to 8) and the DSP result will remain the same, as the "conf DSP" has spare capacity.

However, adding more voice termination will change the result. If you add 4 more analog ports, you now have 36 voice termination channels, which by itself, requires 3 DSPs, i.e. a PVDM2-48, with spare capacity. Adding conf'ing to this (even a single conf), requires a 4th DSP (as conf cannot share the spare capacity on the partially used 3rd DSP allocated to voice termination), which is a PVDM2-64. On this config you have spare voice termination and conf capacity so adding up to 28 more G.711 voice channels, and/or up to 8 total G.711 confs, will remain PVDM2-64 before the next jump occurs.

CH

Thank you very much for a thorough response.