cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway 8.7 C&E licensing

danzawadzki
Level 1
Level 1

Good day - I am in the process of getting my 8.7.3 Expressway VM's licensed and I'm having some issues determining where the "Option Keys" need to be applied.  I've scoured the internet and the Cisco site for answers but I seem to be getting a lot of conflicting information.  Right now, I have both servers built and ready on the network, Cisco licensing will issue the licenses for both servers but they are waiting for me to tell them where the option keys need to go.  Here is the current setup:

Expressway C - internal network

Expressway E - in the DMZ

The PAKs have been accepted and validated with Cisco licensing and I've supplied them with the hardware serials for both servers so we're good there - Now I need to tell them where these options need to be assigned and this is where I'm at a standstill:

Advanced Networking          6

Enable Expressway Series  12

Enable Expressway E          6

Turn Relay Option 6

Enable Gateway    12

Can anyone let me know which server(s) these need to be applied to?  I can make assumptions but I'd rather just do this once rather than have to go through the entire process a second time, if possible.  As I mentioned earlier, I've seen a lot of conflicting information in my search for answers so I wanted to post this to see if anyone can give me the correct answer or at least point me in the right direction to find the answer.

Many thanks,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

On Exp-C you  need:

LIC-EXP-Series

On Exp-E you need:

LIC-EXP-Series
LIC-EXP-E
LIC-EXP-AN
LIC-EXP-GW
LIC-EXP-TURN

If you have rich media PAKs as well you need to split it and deploy on both.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did you have a look at the admin guide? See "Managing Option Keys" chapter here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/expressway/admin_guide/Cisco-Expressway-Administrator-Guide-X8-7-2.pdf

Yes, I have looked there but it still doesn't provide enough information as to how many of these "options" need to be assigned and to which server.  It also lists some options that are not available on my version and doesn't mention anything about some of the options that are available in my version, 8.7.3.

For instance, the "Enable Expressway E" option - why are there 6 licenses available and does it go on the core or the edge server?  Both, possibly?  And the "Enable Expressway Series" option - there are 12 licenses available so should 6 go on C and 6 on E and why?  I highly doubt that we need 6 on each but why 12 licenses?  Are they allowing for future expansion, possibly? I know this is not rocket science but I also know that if the licensing is not ordered exactly right, I'll be doing this all over again and we're running a bit short on time to have the project completed.

I appreciate the feedback and if you have any other ideas that I might want to explore, please send them my way!

Dan

On Exp-C you  need:

LIC-EXP-Series

On Exp-E you need:

LIC-EXP-Series
LIC-EXP-E
LIC-EXP-AN
LIC-EXP-GW
LIC-EXP-TURN

If you have rich media PAKs as well you need to split it and deploy on both.

Excellent - thank you for the  information.  Now for the real kicker...how many of each would I need on each server?  Logic tells me that I would need only one license on the core and edge for LIC-EXP-Series also one for LIC-EXP-E on the edge server.  Will we need more than 1 license allocated for LIC-EXP-AN, LIC-EXP-GW, and LIC-EXP-TURN on the edge server?

Thanks clarifying which license goes where for me...the picture is starting to come into focus a little better now so thanks again.

Dan

Yes, one of each. Only exception is Rich Media (if applicable) where you apply what your ordered, i.e. if you have 10 rich media licenses you apply 5 on Exp-C and 5 on Exp-E.

Perfect - just so I'm sure, this is how I should order the licenses:

• Expressway C
    • LIC-EXP-Series - 1 lic.
  • Expressway E
    • LIC-EXP-Series - 1lic.
    • LIC-EXP-E -1 lic.
    • LIC-EXP-AN -1 lic.
    • LIC-EXP-GW -1 lic.
    • LIC-EXP-TURN - 1 lic.

From what you told me in the previous messages, this should do the trick.  DO I have it right?  Again, thank you for this information as the load feels a lot lighter now.  :)

Dan

* I learned that the LIC-EXP-GW had to be requested on both the C and E servers.  Other than that, the above list is accurate.