cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exreme International Long Distance Charges

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,  I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I'm really racking my brain over this.  We received our long distance bill from AT&T.  There was a $20,000+ charge for international calls.  Mostly to one number.  We're in Texas, the phone number we were billed for is a really weird number that I can't find any info on 823-600-0000, which is in Mexico.  If I attempt to dial it myself, it's nothing but a fast busy. I can't find any record of the number being called over the past 3 months in a CDR, so I can't figure out who dialed it, or if anyone really even did dial it.

It seems pretty fraudulent to me since it's nothing but a fast busy.  I was thinking maybe it was toll fraud, but, I can't really find anything online reporting toll fraud in that region or with that area code.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to find where the call came from?  It makes it even trickier because AT&T can't tell me a date/time the calls were made.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Update to this.  We figured out the call was coming from extension 8236 in our organization.  It was showing up on the phone bill as 823-600-0000 because we're only sending 4 digits, the carrier filled in the rest with 0s.  The employee was calling Nicaragua, which isn't included in our international plan. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Do you have a TDM or CUBE gateway ? Since you say that CDR does not have that call entry, it could be through the router itself ? Does your router act as a voice router only or serves data/WAN as well ?

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Update to this.  We figured out the call was coming from extension 8236 in our organization.  It was showing up on the phone bill as 823-600-0000 because we're only sending 4 digits, the carrier filled in the rest with 0s.  The employee was calling Nicaragua, which isn't included in our international plan. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: