cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend number of rings

yeow_km
Level 1
Level 1

how do i extend the number of rings in the call manager before the calls goes to voicemail?

currently, its is 4 rings, how do i extend to 6.          

15 Replies 15

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Change the ring no answer setting on that line

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

K L
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_1_1/ccmcfg/CUCM_BK_A34970C5_00_admin-guide-91_chapter_0101100.html#CUCM_RF_DC90721D_00

[quote]
No Answer Ring Duration (seconds)

Used in conjunction with Call Forward No Answer Destination, this field sets the timer for how long the phone will ring before it gets forwarded. Leave this setting blank to use the value that is set in the Cisco CallManager service parameter, Forward No Answer Timer.

Caution
By default, Cisco Unified Communications Manager makes the time for the T301 timer longer than the No Answer Ring Duration time; if the set time for the T301 timer expires before the set time for the No Answer Ring Duration expires, the call ends, and no call forwarding can occur. If you choose to do so, you can configure the time for the No Answer Ring Duration to be greater than the time for the T301 timer. For information on the T301 timer, choose System > Service Parameters; choose the server, the Cisco CallManager service, and then the parameter in the window that displays.
[/quote]

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

----------------------------------------
Cisco UC Architect

found the solution by enabling the following

Changing the number of times a Cisco IP Phone rings before forwarding to voice mail or another station is easily accomplished by changing a service parameter.

1. From the Cisco CallManager Administration web pages, select Service > Service Parameters.
  2. Select Cisco CallManager from the list and then choose the Cisco CallManager service from the list on the left.The parameter that needs to be changed is titled Forward No Answer Timeout. By default, it has a value of 12 seconds. A typical ring cycle is approximately 4 seconds.

i increased to 20 sec from the default 12 sec.

K L
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, that will adjust it cluster-wide....if individual users require different times then you can adjust under the device DN settings. Glad you were able to resolve quickly.

Cisco UC Architect

And the option that most users want - the ability to set it, in rings, at the handset - is missing. Good thing Cisco's such a cheap solution that it would be unreasonable to expect such features form.... oh wait.

cisco solutions is not actually that cheap.

I know, I was being grumpy and sarcastic. Actually this missing feature is the bit that causes most of my users to question the quality of our choice to go with Cisco. They can't understand why an expensive, enterprise grade phone system won't let them set their phone rings to their own preference without having to ask an admin to set it in seconds. Dumb.

i have users requesting for customize personal ringtone like their mobile phone.

but my vendor says not advisable to do it.

K L
Level 4
Level 4

I would have to check but it might be in the ccmuser webGUI settings........ don't recall top of my head, I know they can update all the CFwd settings, ring timer might be included.....

Cisco UC Architect

Ah... nope, at least not in 8.6. Tried that already. I believe the only way is to write an IP service and do it that way, but it would be pretty difficult.

K L
Level 4
Level 4

End users are requesting ability to change ring duration on the fly? I haven't come across this in all my years....... I don't see real life scenario.

I can't currently change the ring duration on my mobile......
I don't remember being able to do so with POTS home service back in the day.......
Not sure why adjusting ring during throughout the day would be an ideal solution either though now that I'm thinking about it....... I tend to think between CFwdAll, DND, remote profiles, (possibly) Jabber or LYNC integrated, mobility/remote destination, hunt groups, dual/multi lines, etc etc etc a more desirable and static design could provide the required benefits and more........

At times I like to break it down to what IPT really is when discussion focus around a "seems-it-should-be-simple" feature (e.g. adjust ring timer) from legacy phone environment......... bring up that where a traditional ring was standard operations in IPT world its a feel good comfort: a audio file being played when a call connection request is made. similar to the dial tone: ipt phones don't really have a dial tone what end users hear is a looped audio file as a creature comfort.........

Hope that helps support your users :)

Cisco UC Architect

Yeah, almost every phone system I've worked on or used has had the ability to change the delay before forwarding to voicemail, and it's always been in "number of rings", not seconds. Common as muck.

I get your point about IPT though - but my users don't. And why should they? They don't care how it works, they just want it to be better than the old one. Meaning it can do new things, and also all the same old things.

Another favourite thing is wanting a different ring tone or cadence for internal vs external calls. No sense in explaining that the CM doesn't really see the difference, it's just network traffic... The old system could, so this is just a step backwards. (And to be fair, I think some IPT systems do have a way to signal this to the handset, if calls are coming in different interfaces).

K L
Level 4
Level 4

So just out of curiosity I checked the SDK to see if you could write a simple service to update ring timer and I couldn't find it in the newline API or the updateline API.......
https://developer.cisco.com/media/axl-schema-10-0/AXLSoap_updateLine.html#LinkECA

Cisco UC Architect

K L
Level 4
Level 4

That's all I was able to find tonight.....gl with a on the fly ring timer solution I'm curious if there is one

Pls rate of anything was helpful thx

Cisco UC Architect
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: