cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension to External Numer

PNI-ITRNP
Level 1
Level 1

OK, so wondering if this is possible at all.

Can we configure a 4 digit extension, that when dialed, actually calls 555-123-4567 but doesn’t show the 555 number on the display?

Is this possible at all in CUCM?

Thanks for any assistance or advice anyone can give!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The manipulation of a remote party connected number is doable, but is a pain in the backside. Here it is:

1) Set up a translation pattern for 4567 to turn it into 555-123-4567 (or 9-1-555-123-4567 or whatever will match an already existing PSTN route pattern.)

2) Be sure there is some kind of route pattern (along with PT/CSS) that will path the translated number to your PSTN

3) Create a Calling-Party (yes, calling party) Transformation Pattern that takes 555.1234567 and turns in into 1234567. This pattern will need to be in a unique partition called something like Modify_1234_PT

4) Create a Transformation Calling Search Space and put the above partition in it.

5) Apply the above transformation calling search space to the "Remote Number" field on all phones and Apply Config.

6) The setting in #5 only applies to inbound calls from that number. To get it to also apply to remote connected party on outbound calls, you have to change an "advanced" CallManager Service parameter called "Apply Transformations On Remote Number" to true.

That should do it, but if you test it and it doesn't work let me know and I'll see if I can figure out why. And if someone has a more elegant solution for this, I'm all ears!

Maren

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

There is an ocean of ways to do digit manipulation in CUCM, but to accomplish what you are asking about will depend on the exact call flow and scenario. So, if you don't mind answering a few questions we can help figure out a solution for you:

1) Does the 4 digit extension have to be an extension or can it be something like a translation pattern or route pattern?

2) The call is going out to the PSTN, is it that you want 555-123-4567 to go out as the dialed number but have 123-4567 show up on the target phone as the callerID? If not, can you clarify whose display should show just the 7-digits?

3) What sort of PSTN connection do you have? (SIP Trunk, ISDN, etc.?)

4) Who will be dialing the number? (Internal vs. external originators?)

Here 

1) Does the 4 digit extension have to be an extension or can it be something like a translation pattern or route pattern?

What's the easiest way? DN, Translation Pattern, Route Pattern? Could be either so long as the end result is the extension dials the external number.

2) The call is going out to the PSTN, is it that you want 555-123-4567 to go out as the dialed number but have 123-4567 show up on the target phone as the callerID? If not, can you clarify whose display should show just the 7-digits?

Yes, going out from internal but display the 123-4567 on the internal phone display? 

3) What sort of PSTN connection do you have? (SIP Trunk, ISDN, etc.?)

SIP Trunk

4) Who will be dialing the number? (Internal vs. external originators?)

Only Internal

Thank you for the assistance.

Sorry, forgot to complete the first sentence! :)
Only put "Here" disregard that, don't even remember what I was going to say! :)

The manipulation of a remote party connected number is doable, but is a pain in the backside. Here it is:

1) Set up a translation pattern for 4567 to turn it into 555-123-4567 (or 9-1-555-123-4567 or whatever will match an already existing PSTN route pattern.)

2) Be sure there is some kind of route pattern (along with PT/CSS) that will path the translated number to your PSTN

3) Create a Calling-Party (yes, calling party) Transformation Pattern that takes 555.1234567 and turns in into 1234567. This pattern will need to be in a unique partition called something like Modify_1234_PT

4) Create a Transformation Calling Search Space and put the above partition in it.

5) Apply the above transformation calling search space to the "Remote Number" field on all phones and Apply Config.

6) The setting in #5 only applies to inbound calls from that number. To get it to also apply to remote connected party on outbound calls, you have to change an "advanced" CallManager Service parameter called "Apply Transformations On Remote Number" to true.

That should do it, but if you test it and it doesn't work let me know and I'll see if I can figure out why. And if someone has a more elegant solution for this, I'm all ears!

Maren

I have gone ahead and followed this procedure but I’m a little confused. You say setting #5 is for inbound calls from that number. I’m not worried about inbound calls from the external #.

So, you have a little more detail, the external number that is being called will only ever be outbound, never inbound.

Ultimately, we just want the Cisco 7945 Phone display to only show “1234567” on the screen, we don’t want to reveal the entire # on the phone.

Also, is step 6 relevant at all in this scenario?

I have created the Translation pattern, the calling party transformation pattern, the Transformation CSS and PT. I made the necessary changes and tested but the outgoing number still shows as the entire # on the phone display.

#5 and #6 together will alter the display of the 'connected party', meaning that the outbound number that the internal person dialed will be altered according to the transformation pattern. In other words, it will change the called party as displayed on the phone. I tried to explain that in the second part of #6 above. The logic does seem a bit backwards, doesn't it? (FWIW it took a bit for me to get my brain around it as well.)

One last thing to remember is that this change is cosmetic only, meaning it will change the display on the phone. If the internal user goes into their call history, the full dialed number will appear there.

Maren

How will "Apply Transformations On Remote Number" affect other phones?

If they don't have a transformation calling search space in the "Remote Number" field, zero impact.

And for those that do have a transformation CSS there, only those transforms that exist will affect any calls.

Thank you very much for your assistance, this all worked the first time I tested after you explained my last question.

Excellent solution!

Cheers,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: