Views
Helpful
Replies

Gatekeeper opportunity

james_be_81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a customer with one CUCM 7.1.5 cluster with +30 sites with MGCP gateways accross EMEA.

Customer also have +10 standalone sites (CME/CUCM) but this number will soon increase with more CME to be installed soon.

All sites have PSTN breakout (PRI or BRI)

Customer would like to

- enable call routing between CUCM cluster and the standalone sites trough the IP network.

- centralized dial-plan solution

Considering the following :

- No E.164 dial plan configured yet.

- No TEHO should be implemented. External calls should alway breakout localy.

- Customer has gatekeepers gws with licenses ready to be used.

- CAC must be implemented.

- No upgrade of the CUCM is acceptable (means no SAF...)

- No additional hardware or licenses is acceptable. (No CuBE)

=>What's the added value of using gatekeepers instead of configuring those standalone sites as H.323 gateways in CUCM cluster?

Without being a gatekeeper expert, I cannot see any added value or feature I would miss if I centralize all the routing on the main cluster, I could even make use of AAR which would not be the case using gatekeeper.

BR

James

4 Replies 4

karmakar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

The main functions of a Gatekeeper are -

- Centralized H.323-based dial-plan administration

- Call admission control (CAC)

- Bandwidth management

- Address translation

- Call accounting

Of course, try not to over-engineer the network. If the customer's needs can be met with CUCM + H.323 gateways, then that is the best way. If you see value in bandwidth management, address translation or call accounting, then go for the GK path.

A few months back we also made the GK licenses free. They are now part of every voice bundle on ISR-G2.

Thanks,

Abhi.

bkhanal1971
Level 3
Level 3

As Karmakar rightly explained, one of the great benefits of using GK is that you don't have to create dial-peers in your CMEs as numbers are resolved by gatekeeper. The number of dial-peers will be a big pain when the number of sites grows beyond a few.

Thanks

Thanks Abhi, Thanks Badri,

Badri, you say there is no need of dial-peers in CME as numbers will be resolved by GK, but how would you send request to the GK without Dial Peers ?

e.g. You have 3 CMEs,

A. Extensions 1000

B. Extensions 2000

C. Extensions 3000

I would expect to have two DP in each CME pointing to the GK.

A. DP 2000 / Destination 2000

A. DP 3000 / Destination 3000

no ?

James:

If you have 3 sites with a CME in each, you will need only one dial-peer per site pointing to GK. Taking your example of 3 cmes with extension 1000, 2000 & 3000, I would  create the DP as follows in each CME.

dial-peer voice 1 voip

destination-pattern [1-3]...

session target ras

codec g7xx

Hope it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: