Views
Helpful
Replies

Hiding Called numbers dialed on Cisco 8861 phone

TonyAng867826
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gurus,

I have a requirement to hide all customer numbers dialed/received on a cisco 8861 phone due to a PDP(Personal Data Protection) policy in my company.

I need to prevent all means of displays at all times. Hence, Inbound , Outbound , Call history, etc on the phone needs to hide or masked it.

I know we can perform Calling Party Transformation during inbound active call setup and removed URL or Call history menu away from the 8861 phone. However, i cannot think of any restriction to hide called numbers during outbound call from the 8861 phone.

Is there some way we can prevent or hide the called numbers when user is dialing out ? Question here is not about hiding phone DN number to PSTN.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Selectively hiding Alerting and Connected Party display information would be the feature "Call Display Restrictions" which you can find in the Feature Guide for your version of CUCM. However, the description for this feature in the last few versions of CUCM stink to high heaven. (Too much copy/paste by the documentation people.) So, I am providing a link to the v4.1 description of how the feature works and how to implement it which is marginally better. The good news is that you can implement this on a device-by-device basis. The bad news is that it is pretty complicated to implement. That said, I remember doing this once years ago and it worked as advertised.

So read the How To in these links. Ignore the parts where it says which phone models it works on. (It's all of them as far as I know.)

Call Display Restrictions from CUCM v4.1(3) Features and Services Guide 

And the one for v9 isn't awful and includes the modern names for things like service parameters:

Call Display Restrictions from CUCM v9.0(1) Features and Services Guide 

Good luck! Let us know if you have questions.

Maren

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

If you want to do this system wide you could disable the "Placed Calls" (and/or "Missed Calls") IP Phone Service.

Alternately, you could disable the directories function system wide by blanking out (or misconfiguring) the Directory URL in Enterprise Parameters.

To do it on a specific phone, go to the phone configuration page and you will see an "External Data Locations" section. Settings here will override the URLs used for the function buttons from the Enterprise Parameters. Put a dummy URL in the Directory field.

As far as I know, it's an all-or-nothing thing. There is a checkbox on the phone configuration page to log/not log Missed Calls, but no way I know of to prevent placed calls from being logged on a single device other than to disable the Directory altogether.

Maren

TonyAng867826
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Maren. What about those dialed numbers displayed on the phone during active calls in ringing state ? Can the displayed numbers be hidden or masked ?

Tony

Selectively hiding Alerting and Connected Party display information would be the feature "Call Display Restrictions" which you can find in the Feature Guide for your version of CUCM. However, the description for this feature in the last few versions of CUCM stink to high heaven. (Too much copy/paste by the documentation people.) So, I am providing a link to the v4.1 description of how the feature works and how to implement it which is marginally better. The good news is that you can implement this on a device-by-device basis. The bad news is that it is pretty complicated to implement. That said, I remember doing this once years ago and it worked as advertised.

So read the How To in these links. Ignore the parts where it says which phone models it works on. (It's all of them as far as I know.)

Call Display Restrictions from CUCM v4.1(3) Features and Services Guide 

And the one for v9 isn't awful and includes the modern names for things like service parameters:

Call Display Restrictions from CUCM v9.0(1) Features and Services Guide 

Good luck! Let us know if you have questions.

Maren

TonyAng867826
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks again Maren. That helps me a lot after understanding what these are meant now.

• Calling Line ID Presentation
  • Connected Line ID Presentation

Will try it out on a device level.

Thanks again.

TonyAng867826
Level 1
Level 1

Just to catch up on my testing here. I have managed to get inbound to work as expected but outbound seems not taking effect though I have configured Route Pattern or Translation Pattern with "RESTRICTED". Question is which function will overwrite all ? 

Translation pattern OR Route Pattern OR SIP trunk ?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

For outbound calls, you can do manipulation of the called/calling information at the Route Pattern, the Route List/Route Group, or at the final egress like the SIP Trunk. However, only one of these applies, and it is the last one in that list. At each step, CUCM sends both the original information and the manipulated information to the next call processing step. If that call processing step does digit manipulation, it discards what has been done before and does its manipulation on the original information. You can view this behavior in the Dialed Number Analyzer.

The exception to this is Translation Patterns, which have the behavior of match-manipulate-rematch. This means the output of a translation pattern is seen as the beginning of a new call path for digit manipulation purposes and therefore the output called/calling information is considered original.

So if you want to do a restriction of all, you can do that on the SIP Trunk and that should override everything. Or, you could use Called/Calling Party Transformations on the SIP Trunk to do the restrictions on a per-case/per-pattern basis. And doing the restriction at the Translation Pattern should also allow you to be granular as well.

Hope this helps.

Maren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: