cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to block Cisco Jabber on Smartphone ?

MBO46
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

One costumer want to block these collaborators to connect their smartphone on Cisco Jabber.

Existing one way to do that ?

Best regards

Matthieu

8 Replies 8

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are you looking to block them from downloading the actual Jabber APP within the phone itself or stop them from logging in via Jabber?

Do you not want to use Jabber at all?

We need more information before we can provide a detailed answer.

Jabber will only work if you have configured it for a specific user, there are several steps which are needed before users will be able to actually login. 

That depends, if all they want is IM, any client will do (as long as the user is IM&P enabled), even 3rd party XMPP clients.

If they want full UC, then yes, more configuration is required so that it works.

I assume he asks because users are already enabled for this, but I agree, more info is required to tell whether it's possible to "block" users or not.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks all for your answers

My users use Cisco Jabber for Windows client, but my costumer want to select which user can use or not Cisco Jabber on Android/IOS

What you are saying is that if IM&P is enable for a user, this user can connect from any type of device without a possibility to restrict to just one type?

My understanding is that in terms of IM&P features then yes, if you already use Jabber for Windows then those same users will be able to login to IM&P using Jabber for mobile device.

Bear in mind though that mobile device usually means wireless so they would need to be on your corporate Wifi in order to reach the IM&P server locally or possibly via MRA if you have that setup. 

Once they login, they will have IM&P features only. You would have to create them a device within CUCM (BOT/TCT etc) in order for them to get phone features.

That is my understanding anyway.

Thanks

It is possible to ask this feature for next releases ?

Its not us you need to ask, its Cisco via your Account Manager.

Unless a large number of other customers have asked for it, its unlikely to be included though. 

Open feature enhancement with your account manager and Cisco program team for the product will add it to their long list of features. Keep in mind that committed features for next couple of releases are committed long before it is released.

One other thing you could consider is management of the smart devices via mobile management applications i.e. mass360, where you might be able to control what users can install.  

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know of a way to block IM/P functionality from only one Jabber device.  You can disable IMP feature per user under end user --> Enable User for Unified CM IM and Presence (Configure IM and Presence in the associated UC Service Profile)

but that would disable IMP feature from any Jabber device.  If you want to just disable telephony features from Mobile Jabber but allow IMP then you simply do not create TCT/BOT devices for the users.