cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure a number to go directly to voicemail?

aalbrecht27
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running CUCM and Unity 9.1.2 and using 7945 and 7965.

One of our departments wants me to setup a phone number that goes straight to voicemail, and then they want a button on their own desk phones that will show them when there is a new voicemail in that number.  From what they tell me they had a similar feature previously, but I don't know how it was configured, and it has since been removed.

They said on the previous configuration they could just press the button next to that line and they were sent to its voicemail.  However, I created a DN for this number but when you press the button you get a dial tone as if you were going to call using that line - which isn't what I want.

Any idea how would I go about configuring this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

Here's how I would try to set this up. Let's use 5555 as our example number/DN. Configure 5555 as a key on the phones you want it on, and set it to CFWDALL to Voicemail via the CUCM admin page so that it auto forwards to VM without ringing. Then configure 5555 as a Hotdial to VM so that when the key is pressed it goes straight to VM for checking the messages;

This old doc should still be applicable;

Hotdial on IP Phones with CallManager Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/47601-config-hotdial.html

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

Here's how I would try to set this up. Let's use 5555 as our example number/DN. Configure 5555 as a key on the phones you want it on, and set it to CFWDALL to Voicemail via the CUCM admin page so that it auto forwards to VM without ringing. Then configure 5555 as a Hotdial to VM so that when the key is pressed it goes straight to VM for checking the messages;

This old doc should still be applicable;

Hotdial on IP Phones with CallManager Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/47601-config-hotdial.html

Cheers!

Rob

Where in the CUCM admin page would I set the phone's key button to forward to voicemail, and what would that voicemail number be?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

On the DN page via Call Routing> Directory Number> 5555> Find .....then go to the Call Forward and Call Pickup settings area and use the Call Forward All to VM checkbox or use the VM Pilot number.

Forward All

The settings in this row of fields specify the forwarding treatment for calls to this directory number if the directory number is set to forward all calls. The Calling Search Space field gets used to validate the Forward All destination that is entered when the user activates Call Forward All from the phone. This field also gets used to redirect the call to the Call Forward All destination.

Specify the following values:

Voice Mail—Check this check box to use settings in the Voice Mail Profile Configuration window.

Note When this check box is checked, Cisco Unified Communications Manager ignores the settings in the Destination box and Calling Search Space.

From;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_1_2/ccmcfg/bccm-712-cm/b03dn.html#wp1337039

Cheers!

Rob

That forwards callers directly to voicemail, which is part of what I'm trying to accomplish, but the other part is configuring a button on a different desk phone, (with a different DN), that will go to this phone's voicemail.

So for testing I have my own desk phone with the added DN of 5555 added as a button on my 7945 phone, but when I press this it I get a dial tone using the 5555 extension.  Is there a way to set that button to go to 5555's voicemail?

The idea of what I'm trying to do is if someone has this 5555 button on their phone, they can look and see that the DN 5555 has a new message and can press that button to go directly to its voicemail.

Hi there,

Well, you're halfway there :)

You need to look at the Hotdial config I linked in the first response to set the 5555 button so that when it's pressed it goes straight to your voicemail pilot number and offers the login for the 5555 mailbox.

To be able to see when a voicemail message has been left on the 5555 mailbox make sure the "Light and Prompt" is set to on under the Visual message waiting section on the DN config page in CUCM admin for 5555.

Cheers!

Rob

I created the hotdial, but I don't think that's really what I want.  This hotdial config only affected the button on the 5555 physical phone, but I don't want that button to auto dial to its voicemail, I want other phones that have the 5555 button to dial to 5555's voicemail.

So for example my phone at 4444 should have one of its buttons configured for 5555 so I can see whenever their is a voicemail on the 5555 extension.  I've got this part setup and is good, but if I press that 5555 button on my phone I just get a dial tone from the 5555 line.

How do I get the 5555 button on my phone at 4444 to call into 5555's voicemail when pressed?

Hi there,

Configure the 5555 button on your phone (and others) just the same as the Hotdial on the test phone and you should be good to go.

Cheers!

Rob

Aw finally I got it!  I had the hotdial config set on the physical phone instead of the button extension, plus I also misconfigured the hotdial so it wasn't calling anything, (had the wrong calling search space selected).

Thanks for your help!