Views
Helpful
Replies

How to recover CUC Subscriber server from Publisher

Guangming_Li
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

We got one CUC publisher and one CUC subscriber server in our enviroment. they are VMs based on ESXI host. the verson is 11.5.1.11900-26. recently the subscriber server failed to boot for somehow and we got error: 'fatal: module scsi_wait_scan not found'

I am just wondering if anyone know what it might be caused by? how we can fix the the issue and bring Subscriber server back?

If we can't fix the issue, can anyone show me how to rebuild the Subscriber server? we dont have any backup, and we dont know the security passpword.  CUC publisher is running ok. 

Any suggestions would be much apprecaited.

thanks,

Bright

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If the "problem" is that you cannot find bootable media at the downloads site, and only upgrade images... there is no problem with your account, bootable media is NOT posted in downloads @ cisco.com, you need to order it via PUT, or reach out to your SE/AM and ask if they can provide it to you.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like the VM can't find the virtual disk for some reason. Follow the steps here to replace the subscriber server:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/11x/install_upgrade/guide/b_11xcuciumg/b_11xcuciumg_chapter_0100.html#ID-2164-00000096

Brandon

Thank you very much Brandon. that's very helpful. When i am trying to download installation file from cisco, i can see options below, is seems there is no files for fresh installation?

Recovery Software 
Unified Communications Manager / CallManager / Cisco Unity Connection Utilities 
Unified Communications Manager / Cisco Unity Connection Time Zone Updates 
Unified Communications Manager / Cisco Unity Connection Updates 
Unity Connection Locale Installer

by the way,  I got clone for the broken subscriber server 3months ago. can i just simply power up the clone, and the clone will take to publisher to get all data? or i have to follow 'replacing a subscriber server' procedure to 'Manually change the status of subscriber server to Deactivated' on publisher?

thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Bright

Yes, theoretically you should be able to restore the backup of the subscriber and it will replicate current info from the publisher. I have not tested this scenario. If you run into problems, I would recommend following the steps in the doc to replace a subscriber server. I'm assuming CUC is virtual? Did you browse the datastore to see if you have the bootable ISO to reinstall. Should be something like Bootable_UCSInstall_UCOS_xxxxxxxxxx.sgn.iso.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon.

You are indeed right, our system is based on VM, but unfortunately there is no such file in datastore.

I will power on the clone VM and see how it goes. if it got problem i probably have to call Cisco and find out why i can't download the UCSInstall...file with my cisco account.

by the way, I assume there is no way for subscriber to overwrite publisher, right? as I made the clone three months ago, i worried the old clone might overwrite publisher for somehow. sorry it might be dump quesiton, but i have never done that before, so want to double confirm :)

thanks agian.

Cheers,

Bright

Just make sure the publisher server has primary status (Tools > Cluster Management). Publisher will overwrite Subscriber with current data.

Brandon

Thank you.

I will let you know how it goes.

cheers,

Bright

If the "problem" is that you cannot find bootable media at the downloads site, and only upgrade images... there is no problem with your account, bootable media is NOT posted in downloads @ cisco.com, you need to order it via PUT, or reach out to your SE/AM and ask if they can provide it to you.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks all.
There is known bug that CUC11.5 may fail boot if you upgraded to this version. there might be workaround, but cisco suggest we should rebuild the server. so we rebuilt primary and publisher to fix the problem. thanks everyone

If someone finds this thread and wonders if you can copy the data from CUC publisher to subscriber, the answer is yes.

Works for 11.x and 12.x, didn't check older versions.

Found it here:

Install, Upgrade, and Maintenance Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 12.x - Configure DRS Restore

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/12x/install_upgrade/guide/b_12xcuciumg/b_12xcuciumg_chapter_01.html#task_6FFCB8DA9FEA4DBCAE8EFBDBB731B271

Step 6.

(Cluster only) Once the publisher reboots, run the following command on Command Line Interface (CLI) on the subscriber server to copy the data from the publisher to the subscriber server:

utils cuc cluster overwritedb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: