Views
Helpful
Replies

IM and Presence Intradomain Federation with OCS 2007 R2

Michael Piskun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am in the midst of a staged migration between MS OCS 2007 R2 and IM and Presence (9.1.1.41900-1), and have configured Intradomain Federation as an interim for the migration.

I have followed the migration guide line by line, and have bi directional messaging and mostly everything is working as expected.

In regards to presence, we are seeing some interesting issues that appear to not be covered too well in the Cisco documentation Ive looked at:

1. IM&P will not display presence of OCS user until you add them to a contact list. You can search the user, open a chat window, or even chat with the OCS user indefinitely, however they will appear offline. Once you add the user to a contact list, you immediately get presence. This is reflected in the SIP traces, showing a SUBSCRIBE message from IM&P to OCS only after the user is added.

2. OCS attempts to get presence of a user immediately after they have been searched, but the SUBSCRIBE is sent with an Expires: 0, which IM&P replies to with an 423 Interval Too Brief. IM&P also does not provide a Min-Expires at in this message. Following this transaction, OCS is not seen to re-SUBSCRIBE with a non-0 (or blank) Expires value.

3. Once messaging has been established between OCS and IM&P user, OCS displays correct presence of IM&P user. The SUBSCRIBE can be seen in the traces without a Expires sip-header. The IM&P replies with a 202 Accepted and an Expiry of - in my case - 7410.

It appears that what is failing from IM&P's perspective is 'ad-hoc presence subscription' to OCS. I have enabled ad-hoc presence, and can confirm it works between IM&P users, however, it doesnt attempt to SUBSCRIBE to OCS users in the same way.

The guide following for federation is below:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/im_presence/intradomain_federation/9_1_1/CUP0_BK_PFB0D200_00_partitioned-intradomain-guide-911/CUP0_BK_PFB0D200_00_partitioned-intradomain-guide-911_chapter_010.html#CUP0_RF_WB247261_00

Im looking for any feedback as to whether this behavior has been experienced by anyone else. Or, ideally, if anyone has been able to overcome it.

Regards,

Michael

3 Replies 3

Anil Sharma
Level 3
Level 3

hi Michael,

i see its quite a old post, did you find solution for the second point "interval too brief"

i am facing same issue in my environment, is there any timer we can change on IM&P.

Appreciate your input .

regards,

Anil Sharma.

Hi Anil/Michael,

I am also seeing an issue with 'Interval too brief' just wondering if you found a solution for the issue?

Thanks

Glen

hi Glen

As per response I got from TAC when I was working on it: This is something that would need to be fixed on Lync side.  IM&P cannot handle an “Expires: 0” in SIP Subscribe sent from Lync. Need to be checked with Lync Admin.

"OCS attempts to get presence of a user immediately after they have been searched, but the SUBSCRIBE is sent with an Expires: 0, which IM&P replies to with an 423 Interval Too Brief. IM&P also does not provide a Min-Expires at in this message. Following this transaction, OCS is not seen to re-SUBSCRIBE with a non-0 (or blank) Expires value"

Regards,

Anil Sharma.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: