Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IM&Presence 10.5 installation issue

Hello

we have purchased a new BE6K bundle with CM, Unity, IM&Presence, CCX preinstalled version 10.5. I have succesfully completed the installation of all servers but IM&Presence. The problem I've found is that the installation process says that node isn't the first node on the cluster and before proceeding it must be configured on the first node (see attached screenshot). I can guarantee it is the first node, in fact, there's no other node because there's no other server and it's a fresh install.

Any idea on how to proceed? Thank you in advance for your help

DAni

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here is what you need to know.

When you install IM and Presence nodes, the first node that you install functions as the server for the IM and Presence database. Because this node publishes the database for all of the IM and Presence nodes in the cluster, it is referred to as the IM and Presence database publisher; however, you must install this and all other IM and Presence nodes as subscribers of the Unified Communications Manager publisher node. As with other subscriber nodes, you must add these in the system topology before you install the software.

So when you are doing your install, when the system ask if this is the first node, you have to say no, then it will ask you for the ip address of the first node and you will enter the ip address of your cucm publisher. ensure you add the server in cucm before the installation

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will need to add the IM and presence server as a server on the CUCM server. Go to CCMadmin, server, add new server, then select IM and presence as server type, add your IM and P server. In CUCM 10.X, IM and P is much more integrated with CUCM. its part of the cucm cluster, hence the reason why you must add it to cucm. Once your install is completed, you can manage IM and P from the cucm cluster. You can activate services etc. You also use RTMT to manage all the servers in the cluster including IM and P. Its all in one place now.

Thank you for your answer

Do you mean adding the IM&P Server on Callmanager prior to IM&P installation? During the IM&P, the wizard didn't ask me about the CM IP so I don't understand how IM&P detects the CM

Here is what you need to know.

When you install IM and Presence nodes, the first node that you install functions as the server for the IM and Presence database. Because this node publishes the database for all of the IM and Presence nodes in the cluster, it is referred to as the IM and Presence database publisher; however, you must install this and all other IM and Presence nodes as subscribers of the Unified Communications Manager publisher node. As with other subscriber nodes, you must add these in the system topology before you install the software.

So when you are doing your install, when the system ask if this is the first node, you have to say no, then it will ask you for the ip address of the first node and you will enter the ip address of your cucm publisher. ensure you add the server in cucm before the installation

Your explanation is excellent but maybe I forgot something on my first question:

The installation wizard didn't ask if it was the first node or not; it said directly that it wasn't the first node (as you can see on the attached screenshot), so my concern was how the hell it knew it without asking. Maybe version 10.5 goes directly to that step and I need to setup the Callmanager as you said?

Dani

And it wont ask if its the first node in the cluster, because the first node in the cluster IS THE CUCM PUB. Did you review the IM&P installation guide before doing this???

if not, I strongly suggest you to do so before proceeding.

it knows its not the first node, because all the nodes need to be configured in the CUCM PUB before install, and it goes back and pulls this info at that step of the install.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you Jaime, so it has changed from version 9.x to 10, hasn't it? I didn't need to do that on version 9.x and that's why I didn't review the installation uide because I assumed it was the same

Hello again

I've been looking for the IM&Pressence v10.5 installation guide but all I can find is a link saying that IM&P guides have been merged with CUCM guides. Can any one post the links to the guides please?

thank you

And it's exactly as it says, go to the CUCM 10.x install guides, and all the info on how to install IM&P will be there.

HTH

java

I have already tried it but under

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/products-installation-guides-list.html

the only available guide is Migration to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 10.5(1) Using Prime Collaboration Deployment, that's why I'm asking

They REALLY meant that is has merged, read the one that says installing CUCM, release 10.0 

HTH

java

I have to say this release is poorly documented (the worst of any of cisco's uc products) of the cisco collaboration series. The documentation is quite confusing..But here is what you need to do.. Go to the install guide for cucm 10.0, click on getting started, and click on the IM and presence service..Read through it and you will see the installation instruction on adding the IM and presence service as a server on cucm.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_I95AD2FE_00_installing-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_I95AD2FE_00_installing-cucm-100_chapter_01.html#CUCM_RF_A6621274_00

If you navigate through the menu on the install guide, you will instructions for IM and P merged with that of CUCM. In Installation overview, you will see more detail for installing IM and P

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: