Views
Helpful
Replies

IMP Compliance PostgreSQL DB Replication

CSCO11095844
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am looking to setup IMP 10.5x with the use of PosgreSQL external databases.  I have a situation where my i have an Active Passive Subcluster split between two sites.  Each IMP node has a local PostgreSQL server to write to for message archiving and persistent chat history.

My question is,  is it supported and possible to replicate the database from site A to the database at site B so that in the event that the subcluster fails over to site B the message history and persistent chat history is still avaliable?

Cheers

Neil

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This isn't needed because the IM&P cluster doesn't failover chat rooms, persistent or ad hoc.

Failover Impact to Clients and Services

During failover to the backup node, availability and instant messaging services are temporarily unavailable on client applications. After failover is complete, the availability and instant messaging services become available on the client again when the client signs back in. Similarly, if fallback occurs, availability and instant messaging services are temporarily unavailable on client applications until fallback completes and the client signs back in. Cisco Jabber signs users back in automatically.

The impact of failover on temporary ad hoc chat messages depends on the particular client application. On Cisco Jabber, any ad hoc chat windows that were open before failover should display again after the failover is complete. However, if all of the users in a chat room automatically exit the chat room as part of a failover or fallback process, or if the ad hoc chat room is hosted on a failed node, the ad hoc chat windows will not display again after failover and a message is displayed explaining that the chat room was deleted. On all clients, any persistent chat rooms that users create on the failed node cannot be accessed again until recovery.

In other words, configuring the PostgreSQL replication isn't going to get you anything.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the response this is brilliant thank you.

Cheers

Neil