cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Impact of restating Cucm TFTP service

Ren Stark
Level 1
Level 1

The cucm version is 9.1.2. I need to install a cop file for Cisco Telepresence 1300-65 model. Post installation I need to restart the TFTP services . It's running on Publisher and one dedicated TFTP Server(Primary Type). Is there an order do I need to follow to restart the service (Tftp server first then , publisher)?. Restarting TFTP service will lead to impact the current IP phones registered on the cluster?  Please clarify 

3 Replies 3

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you install a device pack that often has a prescribed restart if there are database changes that come with it.

If you're installing device firmware, it doesn't matter really which order you restart the servers in, except that installing on the publisher will cause the device default load to change. If the device goes to look at a TFTP for the firmware, before the TFTP is restarted, it will not find it. It may require a subsequent reset or whatever (the device) to start again.

I'd imagine the only impact would be if you had endpoints loading software from the TFTP when you did this, their download may stop and it will timeout and restart. It won't cause the phones to reset or any such thing. The service restarts relatively fast. So, I'd recommend install the COP on the TFTP, restart TFTP services there, install on publisher, restart TFTP services there, and then apply the devices in question.

You can also manually specify their load to the current version to keep them from looking for a new version until you're all set.

Thanks for your input.

I am not going to install the device pack. I am installing a cop file "cmterm-CTS.1-9-5-7R-K9.P1.cop" which is for Cisco telepresence 1300-65.
Should I upload this using OS Admin software install/upgrade page or can I directly upload the file using OS Admin-> TFTP File Management?
Do I need to upload the cop file in all the cluster nodes?
I am planning to install the file during business hours and restarting the TFTP services after business hours.

Please advice.

With the disclaimer that I'm just a guy on the internet, I would follow the process that you've described:

Use the Install/Upgrade option from cmplatform to install the cop (just uploading it won't do anything, it's like a tarball with a script in it)

Restart TFTP services ( in my environment TFTP runs on dedicated CM nodes )

Install on Publisher ( my pub does not run TFTP )

Restarting the TFTP during business hours shouldn't have any impact, in my experience, and I do so often when uploading Jabber XML etc

I believe the recommendation is to install the cop on all nodes in the cluster, however, I've never done this since it just adds files to non TFTP nodes that do nothing. I only install on TFTP nodes.

Remember that if the device default changes your device may decide to go looking for an upgrade. Again, they shouldn't unless they're rebooted, their configuration has changed, or the device requests new configuration. This will change when you install the COP on the publisher regardless of if you restart the TFTP or not.

On my SX80s what I've done is key the "Phone Load Name" in the device configuration myself, for example, "s52020ce9_4_1-6ae80e1f2ee.pkg". Then when I change the load I manually can remove or update this to have absolute control over when the devices will upgrade.

Hope this helps.