cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Insert CUCM Disk? Install MeetingPlace on ESXi

mayurjdpatel
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to install Meeting Place from the original Cisco CD ISO image onto a ESXi virtual machine and half way through the installation after providing the host name/ip details etc I am being prompted to insert the Cisco Unified Communications Manager CD. I have tried changing to a working CUCM v8 ISO image which I know works because i have installed CUCM PUB/SUB VM's. But for some reason the installer does not accept the ISO. I have even tried mapping the VM -CDROM to the physical CD ROM drive in the server and using an actual original CUCM CD and even this is not accepted and both times it ejects the CD/ISO.

In this screen it says Use ALT-ESC to show hidden window but this doesn't appear to work very well when done from the VM Console. Pic attached.

I tried using the MeetingPlace ISO image and the installer seems to accept this and it gives the impression that the installation is continuing but after a few minutes it ejects the CD/ISO.

Has anyone managed to successfully install Meeting Place in a VM?

Thanks,

MP

6 Replies 6

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Use VI client and map the virtual machine's DVD drive to your laptop's physical DVD drive.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

The problem is not so much point to the right ISO/DVD but more to do with not completing the installation.

I have left the installer at the prompt for the time being and as a result the Meetingplace installation has not been finished, I was going to test the installation on my VMWare workstation to see if I can identify the issue.

Secondly I haven't been able to find a way to point a ESXor ESXi hosted VM's CD/DVD drive to say the workstations local DVD drive using the VI client unless the ISO images are stored either on a mapped NFS/SAN/SMB share. Perhaps I am missing the trick here, Any ideas

See page 99 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_vm_admin_guide.pdf.

Configure a Client Device Type for the DVD/CD-ROM Drive
You can connect the DVD/CD-ROM device to a physical DVD or CD-ROM device on the system running the
vSphere Client.
Procedure
1 In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
2 Click the Hardware tab and select the DVD/CD-ROM drive.
3 Select or deselect the Connected check box to connect or disconnect the device.
4 If you do not want the CD-ROM drive connected when the virtual machine starts, deselect Connect at
power on.
5 Select the Client Device under Device Type.
6 Select the mode used for the connection.
n Passthrough IDE (raw). Use mode only for remote client device access.
n Emulate IDE. Use to access a host CD-ROM device.
The host CD-ROM device is accessed through emulation mode. Passthrough mode is not functional for
local host CD-ROM access. You can write or burn a remote CD only through pass-through mode access,
but in emulation mode you can only read a CD-ROM from a host CD-ROM device.
7 In the drop-down menu under Virtual Device Node, select the node the drive uses in the virtual machine.
8 Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.
What to do next
To connect this device, you must power on the virtual machine, then click the Connect CD/DVD button in the
toolbar.

Michael

Travis Cassell
Level 1
Level 1

Disregard, I was able to fix the issue.  It's actually needing the MeetingPlace DVD not the UCM disc like it says.

ryan_bell
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

Well now I'm having the exact same problem except I am using the MeeingPlace Application Server DVD. The ISO mounted fine, the disk check was good, the OS installed fine, though once it gets to that screen you showed, it just ejects the disk everytime. I've also tried using a physical disk and it also just ejects the disk. Just to confirm, it is the same disk as the what is used to install the OS correct?

Thanks,

Ryan

OK nevermind the "Client Device" option seams to be working so far. Just curious though, why doesn't the "Host Device" or Datastore ISO file options work? These options work for to install the OS or for anything else I've done.

Thanks,

Ryan