cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installation of a Virtualized CUCM

latenaite2011
Level 4
Level 4

I am just curious if I can disable the NIC (to avoid any IP address conflict) after the CUCM installation passes the network connectivity check and just let the installation continue. This is because I am assigning the same IP and hostname to the production CUCM and want to save time and get this done before the maintenance window.  This will save me about an hour time.

If not, is there a way to pre-stage the new VM by assigning the same IP and hostname?  Someone mentioned about isolating it. Well the ESXi host is on the production network (that is how I am able to access it remotely) and the IP assigned to it is also on a production network. I don't see how can I isolate it if it has the same IP and subnet.

thanks,

LN

9 Replies 9

Diego Chvz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

latenaite2011,

I think you may create a new Virtual Switch in ESXi and allocate the new CUCM there. Then, you will need to assign the VSwitch to a independent NIC. You will need to connect an independent switch an router properly configured (same addressing scheme as production environment) for CUCM network testing, but at this point your environment will be isolated. When you need to move this new CUCM to production, you just need to change it to the Virtual Switch where your production CUCM is.

Try it and let us know the results.

"Don't forget to rate all useful posts"

Hi Diego,

Do you have any documentation on this?  I am pretty new to ESXi.

I am not too sure about configuring a router (virtual router??) to support this and if it can happen, it needs to be configurable within an hour as I am upgrading now.

Also- this also means I need to set up a new VM that has Windows so that I can launch the new CUCM VM via GUI in the isolated network to just do the restore .

thanks,

LN

HI latenaite2011,

For sure, take a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/vmware/vmware/VMware.html

Yes, you will need a physical router with the same addressing scheme to recreate your isolated production environment and install your CUCM. On the other hand, unfortunately I cannot advice right now on how to upgrade your CUCM since there are requirements that you need to take in account, CUCM versions involved, for example.

Thanks Diego for this.

There are a lot of steps involved.  I will save this for next time.

thanks again,

LN

latenaite2011,

Any way, for future occasions I suggest to reach out Cisco PDI for planning procedures (Assistance with upgrade and migration planning in this case).

https://www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

Or in production environments you can contact Cisco TAC, in either case you never are alone =)

Ok, thanks!

Have a question - 

If it doesn't pass the network check (can't find matching hostname) during the installation, can I still continue?  I am able to ping and resolve it just fine.
Ignore is an option but not recommended...I checked and verified and can ping the hostname and IP.
thanks!
LN

latenaite2011,

CUCM needs to check network connectivity and it includes DNS lookup test. Make sure that your DNS server has configured DNS Reverse, I mean that you can resolve not only from hostname to IP address but from IP address to hostname as well.

Check out this link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725670(v=ws.10).aspx

Once you set up DNS reverse, CUCM will pass DNS lookup test.

Thanks much Diego.  

I was able to get it done.

Thanks much.

latenaite2011,

Any way, for future occasions I suggest to reach out Cisco PDI for planning procedures (Assistance with upgrade and migration planning in this case).

https://www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

Or in production environments you can contact Cisco TAC, in either case you never are alone =)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: