Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing CUPS fails on NTP

tony loktu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm installing CUPS 8.6.4 on VMWare ESXi 5 but it fails on NTP.

I'm trying to use CUCM publisher at NTP. Several CUCM subscribers use the publisher as NTP so i know it works.

CUPS and CUCM are on the same network so there is no firewall blocking it.

At first i test the NTP and it says "accessible". I then proceed with the install but the next screen tells me that it fails on NTP.

I've attached a screen shot of both the "accessible" screen and when it fails.

Why is it failing?                  

/Tony

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tony

What's the output of utils ntp status on the publisher you are trying to sync to?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi

This is the first CUPS so there are no othere CUPS.

I'm getting this from the CUCM publisher:

admin:utils ntp status
ntpd (pid 13433) is running...

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
*XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX    LOCAL(0)        11 u  394  512  377    1.925    0.027   0.221

synchronised to NTP server (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) at stratum 12
   time correct to within 25 ms
   polling server every 512 s

The NTP is running and in sync at the CUCM publisher.

BTW: I get the same resault if i try to add a patch (to SU2) during install.

/Tony

Hi Tony

That's what I meant, the CUCM publisher...

Well - you have quite a high stratum number, and that looks like the CUCM is synced to itself?

The docs for CUPS and CUCM both specify at least stratum 9.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/install_upgrade/installation/guide/Product_Description.html#wp1085321

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_0_1/install/cmins801.html#wp521779

I would configured CUCM to sync to a proper NTP server, or sync CUPS to a proper higher-stratum NTP server. If your CUCM is an MCS server then changing NTP should be OK, otherwise (if it's VMware, which I presume it isn't as you don't have NTP configured) then it would break your license.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron

Its all virtualized on VMWare ESXi 5
The CUCM cluster have been up and running for some years without any problems.

The NTP on CUCM publisher is not sync'ed to itself but to another external source. I agree that stratum 12 isnt the best but it seams to work just fine on CUCMs, UCCXs and many more.

But that does not explain why a new install of CUPS on installing NTP with a sync to CUCM publisher fails (i think).

Hi Tony

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't!

It may just be that the fresh install for CUPS  8.6 checks this more stricly than upgrades from previous versions of UCCX/CUCM etc.

As it is, your setup doesn't meet that specified by the documentation - so you have choices:

1) Continue to argue the case with the CUPS installer

2) Try a a higher stratum NTP server - this is easy to set up for yourself internally or there are lots on the Internet. Until you apply a CUPS license you are free to change it about so a web NTP server may be a nice quick test and you can come up with your final design afterwards.

3) Speak to TAC, who will point you at the documentation...

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: