cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Integrating Exchange 2010 with Unity 7.0(2)

sdavids5670
Level 2
Level 2

I have already downloaded the very detailed PDF from Cisco's website that gives step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this.  By this, I mean introduce an Exchange 2010 server into an existing Unity 7.0 deployment.  In my case, I have no intention of partnering Unity with this new Exchange server (to be done at a later date).  There is only one Unity server.  There is only one Exchange 2010 server.  Once Unity can talk to the new 2010 server they will being moving some mailboxes from the existing 2003 environment to the new 2010 server.  Now the question.  In the instructions it states:

"

If Exchange 2003 System Management Tools is installed on the Cisco Unity server:

Locate an Exchange

Server 2003 disc. You will need the disc later in the process.

"

Then in step #13 of the same section it tells me to uninstall:

"Exchange Server 2003 System Management Tools" and "Exchange Server 2007 MAPI".

I'm a literal kind of guy.  So the way I interpret this, if I go into Control Panel -> Add/Remove.... and I do not see an entry labeled "Exchange Server 2003 System Management Tools" or "Exchange Server 2007 MAPI" then this doesn't apply to me.  However, I do see "Microsoft Exchange" in the Add/Remove... section of Control Panel and I do see "System Manager" in Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Exchange so now I wonder, is this the same thing as "Exchange Server 2003 System Management Tools".  I had planned on doing this work remotely but if I have to uninstall this and I need the setup CD then I've got some work to do.

Thanks,

Steven

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Saurabh Agnihotri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Steven,

You are right. You need to go to remove Add/Remove programs and remove Exchange 2003 System Management tools by selecting the "Microsoft Exchange" option. It is on of the components that gets installed during the installation of Exchange 2003 server.

That is why it does not show up seperately in Add/Remove programs.

A few other tips that you may find useful:

1) Exchange 2003 installation CD is not really required for uninstalling the Exchange System Management tools but it is highly recommended that you have it handy. It may be required if Exchange System Manager needs to be reinstalled for some reason.

2) Do not make these changes using Remote Desktop. Use VNC session or a direct console to the Unity server.

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards,

Saurabh Agnihotri

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Saurabh Agnihotri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Steven,

You are right. You need to go to remove Add/Remove programs and remove Exchange 2003 System Management tools by selecting the "Microsoft Exchange" option. It is on of the components that gets installed during the installation of Exchange 2003 server.

That is why it does not show up seperately in Add/Remove programs.

A few other tips that you may find useful:

1) Exchange 2003 installation CD is not really required for uninstalling the Exchange System Management tools but it is highly recommended that you have it handy. It may be required if Exchange System Manager needs to be reinstalled for some reason.

2) Do not make these changes using Remote Desktop. Use VNC session or a direct console to the Unity server.

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards,

Saurabh Agnihotri

To add to this, after I removed this component (and only this component, leaving the parent component alone) I moved to the next step (which is to install the Cdo program).  I got an error msg stating that it was not compatible with the verison of Exchange I had.  OK, I thought, I'll just remove the entire "Microsoft Exchange" program from Add/Remove...  To my shock, this wasn't an option.  The only options available to me were Typical, Minimal, and Custom (no remove or uninstall).  At this point I was starting to panick a little bit.  I chose "custom" and didn't select any componets.  I re-ran the Cdo app and this time it did install.

Unfortunately, after completing the remaining steps the Unity 7 server still cannot talk to Exchange 2010.  That's a different discussion, though, so I will not get into the details here.