Views
Helpful
Replies

Intercluster-trunk VS SIP Trunk

HeribertoVV
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are going to integrate a CUCM cluster v8.6 and a cluster v11.5.

I'm looking for specific information concerning the adventages and disadventages about SIP trunk and Intercluster-Trunk (non gatekeeper controlled). Our client has basic features activated in both Clusters. Hunting and CallPickUp, as an example. Does SIP trunk show caller-ID? Which one is better and why? 

Kind regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, a SIP trunk is recommended.

This is not going to be any different from any other MGCP, H.323, PRI, etc. Whether you can reach something in your CUCM, or not, is up to your inbound calls configuration.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no doc that will tell you that, the SRND recommends SIP for anything running 8.5+

the lowest recommended version is Cisco Unified CM 8.5 using SIP trunks because this version includes features that improve and simplify call routing through Unified CM and Session Management Edition clusters.

Although SME supports SIP, H.323, and MGCP trunks, Cisco highly recommends SIP as the trunk protocol of choice for SME and Unified CM leaf clusters running Cisco Unified Communications System Release 8.5 and later versions.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab11/collab11/trunks.html

Not sure what the relationship you want/expect between the features you mention and the choice of a SIP trunk or an ICT.

HTH

java

Thank you Jaime,

So, the recommended configuration is to create a SIP trunk between both clusters instead of an inter-cluster trunk (non gatekeeper)?

I want to reach all hutings and pickups defined in one cluster from the other one without any problem, and I want to see the caller-ID when a calls arrives from the other cluster.

Yes, a SIP trunk is recommended.

This is not going to be any different from any other MGCP, H.323, PRI, etc. Whether you can reach something in your CUCM, or not, is up to your inbound calls configuration.

HTH

java