cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone SoftKey Dialing

Ben Stanford
Level 1
Level 1

We have many 2 button 7940 and 7945 phones with both lines in use as well as a few 6 button phones that are full. If possible I need to set up a softkey for one touch dialing to Campus Security. For phones that have an available line I was able to set up a speed dial line, however, for the phones with no available lines I have been told to configure 1 touch dialing to security. As a temporary work around I am setting up all phones for abbreviated dialing by pressing the 1 then abbrdial softkey. But the higher ups are not happy and want 1 touch dialing to security.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I was curious about this and, after some digging, found this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7906g_7911g/8_5/english/user_guide/06adv.pdf

"

Use Abbreviated

Dialing (Off-hook)

1. Pick up the handset

2. Press AbbrDial softkey and enter the abbreviated dial code using the keypad.

3. Press the AbbrDial softkey again. "

So it seems you have to press the abbrDial softkey both before and after the code. Not exactly elegant...

As suggested above, I'd think about using # or * with a translation pattern. Ends up being easier to configure and change when needed.

Gareth

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You cannot create custom softkeys, you'll need to use the solution you have in place.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

jhitt-limited
Level 4
Level 4

What about using the * key and translate it to security number?

That's doable, just configure the translation to achieve that.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Ben Stanford
Level 1
Level 1

Here is our current plan so far.

Using Export/Import bulk edit. Set up every phone with the first two speed dials to go to security. I know this seems redundant but there is a reason. On about a third or more of our phones there is no room for a speed dial button. On the others there is. We wanted to have at least 1 method that works on every phone on campus. In this case we wanted every phone to be able to hit the number 1 then Abbrdial to go straight to security regardless whether it has a speed dial or not. This way people who do not have speed dial and are trained for the 1 + Abbrdial won't have to think about how to dial security no matter where they are located. Also since the first speed dial in the .csv file automatically goes to the speed dial button the second will naturally line up with the #1 Abbrdial for those with speed dial.

Now to our second problem. While on hook when a user hits a number the Abbrdial shows up on the third softkey and works. However, if a user goes off hook and hits a number ,Abbrdial was not showing up. I then added it to the section labeled "digits after first". Now it shows up but it is greyed out and does not work. Any suggestions please?

Hi Ben,

Have you seen this note?

Off-Hook Abbreviated Dial

Description

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(2) introduces an  enhancement to the existing Abbreviated Dial feature to allow  abbreviated dialing while off hook. The user can initiate Off-Hook  Abbreviated Dialing while placing a basic call, while conferencing a  call, while transferring a call, or while a call is on hold.

To enable Off-Hook Abbreviated Dialing, assign the softkey Abbreviated  Dial (AbbrDial) to a softkey template and assign the template to the  phone. Be aware that the Abbreviated Dial (AbbrDial) softkey can be  included in the Off Hook, Off Hook With Feature, or Digits After First  states of a Softkey Layout Configuration.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Configuration Tips

Step 1 Find the softkey template:

a. Choose Device > Device Settings > Softkey Template.

The Find and List Softkey Templates window displays. Records from an active (prior) query may also display in the window.

b. To find all records in the database, ensure the dialog box is empty; go to sub-step c.

To filter or search records

From the first drop-down list box, select a search parameter.

From the second drop-down list box, select a search pattern.

Specify the appropriate search text, if applicable.

From the third drop-down list box, select whether to search for standard, non-standard, or both types of softkey templates.

c. Click Find.

All matching records display.

Step 2 Add the Abbreviated Dial (AbbrDial) softkey to the off-hook call states:

a. From  the list of matching records, choose the softkey template in which you  want to configure softkey positions. The Softkey Template Configuration  window displays.

Note You  can modify only softkey templates that display a check box in the left  column. All other softkey templates comprise standard, read-only  templates.

b. Choose Configure Softkey Layout from the Related Links drop-down list box; then, click Go.

The Softkey Layout Configuration window displays. The Select a call  state to configure drop-down list box lists each Cisco Unified  Communications Manager call state for an IP phone.

c. Change  the off-hook call states to include the Abbreviated Dial (AbbrDial)  softkey. The off-hook call states include Off Hook, Off Hook With  Feature, and Digits After First. You must add the Abbreviated Dial  (AbbrDial) softkey to each of these call states.

From  the Select a call state to configure drop-down list box, select  Off-hook. The Softkey Layout Configuration window redisplays, and the  Unselected Softkeys pane and Selected Softkeys pane display the softkeys  that are applicable to the call state.

Move the Abbreviated Dial (AbbrDial) softkey to the Selected Softkeys list by using the arrows between the panes.

To rearrange the positions of the Selected Softkeys, use the up and down arrows to the right of the Selected Softkeys pane.

To save your softkey layout configuration, click Save.

Repeat  these steps for the call states Off Hook With Feature and Digits After  First. You must add the Abbreviated Dial (AbbrDial) softkey to all three  off-hook call states, including Off Hook, Off Hook With Feature, and  Digits After First.

d. To  return to the Softkey Template Configuration window, choose the Softkey  Template Configuration link from the Related Links drop-down list box  in the upper, right corner; then, click Go.

e. To save your configuration, click Save.

f. To make the updates of the softkey template take effect on the phone, click Reset. To assign a template to a phone, see "Cisco Unified IP Phone Configuration," Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_1_2/cucm-rel_notes-712.html#wp1240151

Cheers!

Rob

"Hours are like diamonds, don't let them waste
Time waits for no one, no favors has he" 

- Stones

Ben Stanford
Level 1
Level 1

I selected Standard User Mobile at the bottom of the following image.

Then I clicked GO on the Configure Softkey Layout in the upper right related links box.

I made sure Abbreviated Dial (AbbrDial) on each of the following three states.

Off Hook

Digits After First

Off Hook With Feature

I verified that no other state I could select had Abbreviated Dial in the selected softkeys section.

If I pickup the handset or hit speakerphone then hit the number 1 key I can see the AbbrDial softkey but it is greyed out. When I hit it I recieve a message "That key is not active here". However when I go off hook, hit the more softkey, I can then hit the AbbrDial followed by the 1 key then the diaplay changes to the same as if I went off hook and hit 1 except that AbbrDial is not greyed out and is active and it works. So to recap. Offhook, more, AbbrDial, 1, AbbrDial.

Strangely this works with hitting the AbbrDial twice. Once before hitting the number key and once after hitting the number key.

I was curious about this and, after some digging, found this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7906g_7911g/8_5/english/user_guide/06adv.pdf

"

Use Abbreviated

Dialing (Off-hook)

1. Pick up the handset

2. Press AbbrDial softkey and enter the abbreviated dial code using the keypad.

3. Press the AbbrDial softkey again. "

So it seems you have to press the abbrDial softkey both before and after the code. Not exactly elegant...

As suggested above, I'd think about using # or * with a translation pattern. Ends up being easier to configure and change when needed.

Gareth