cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPhone can connect over Wireless LAN with Mobility Server

ibrahimsiddiqui
Level 1
Level 1

We need to know that iPhone can be connect to Mobility Server over a wireless lan or only 3G connection is the only option?

Regards

Ibrahim Javed

10 Replies 10

kwuhrman@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Can you be more specific as to which application you're trying to connect?  Are you referring to Cisco Mobile 7.1 (a Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator application) connecting to Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage?  If so, Cisco Mobile 7.1 can connect to Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage either through any data connect (a cellular data connection (typically 3G), or WiFi).  However, all voice calls will use GSM.

Thanks,

Karin Wuhrmann

Product Manager

Yes that is true. Cisco Communications Manager 7.1, Cisco Unified MObility Advantage and iPhone Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator. As you said it can be able to connect through WiFi so in this case it should used WiFi for incoming/outgoing calls why it is using 3G connection.

What I am trying to say that if user is local Wireless LAN Coverage so it should use wireless connectivity. If user is out of wireless coverage means outside the office then it should use 3G. Am i correct ?

Regards

Ibrahim Javed

The iPhone Cisco Mobile 7.1 (Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator) application does not support VoWiFi.  All calls placed from this app use GSM.

If you're looking for a VoWiFi application, we'll have Cisco Mobile 8.0 available in mid-April, which connect directly to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1(3) and up.

Thanks,

Karin

But as you said previously that

" If so, Cisco Mobile 7.1 can connect to Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage either through any data connect (a cellular data connection (typically 3G), or WiFi)"

What is the use of WiFi in this case?

Regards

Ibrahim Javed

Hi Ibrahim,

Cisco Mobile 7.1 exchanges data with Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage, including signaling information to setup Dial via Office calls, and downloading voicemail for playback.  This data exchange can occur over WiFi (or any other data connection).  To place calls that are anchored on Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Mobile 7.1 supports Dial via Office which uses GSM for the actual voice connection.

Thanks,

Karin

So in this case if we upgrade our Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage to ver 8 than we can dial via office feature over GSM as well ?

Regards

Ibrahim Javed

Hi Ibrahim,

For VoWiFi, you will need Cisco Mobile 8.0 which will be available mid-April.  Cisco Mobile 8.0 does not require Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage, instead it connects directly to Cisco Unified Communications Manager.  Cisco Mobile 8.0 does not support Dial via Office.

Please ping me in private with your email address if you'd like more information (none has been posted yet).

Thanks,

Karin

Thanks for the helpful information, my id ibrahim.javed@getronics.com

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ibrahim Javed

sserrant1
Level 1
Level 1

Karin,

I just went to a Cisco Collaboration Roadshow today and saw a demo of Mobile Connect 8.0 and they made calls via DVO (Dial Via Office) from the iPhone. Are you sure that this feature is not supported in Mobile Connect 8.0?

Thanks,

Shane

Shane,

Dial via Office is not part of the Cisco Mobile 8.0 feature set.  This feature is avaiable in the original Cisco Mobile (7.1) release only.

Thanks,

Karin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: