cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is I need Mobility advantage with CM 8.5?

tonysamir
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir:

i check CUCM version 8.5 Data sheet and i found it include the mobility advantage functionality

So my question is i need mobility advantage server for Cisco mobile clients or not according to the last change

i want to know the sizing of the mobility advantage if it will be on call manager and if i need ASA or what is the exact requirement for Cisco Mobility clients

What is the licences need for Cisco mobile client as i didn't find more information about this issue as i read it as one presentation slide in CUCM 8.5 presentation?

So please help me in this issue with more detail on how to design mobility Advantage solution

Regards;

TS

18 Replies 18

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

CUCM 8.5 does not need CUMA. IPhone, Droid clients can directly register with CUCM. Outside the network you will require VPN through ASA to set up the tunnel. Blackberry currently requires MVS which is outside Cisco but can integrate with CUCM. Nokia too has clients to register directly with CUCM.

The OG here show the licensing

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/technology/ipc/uc_tech_readiness.html#~7

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps7271/deployment_guide_c07-641141.html

Srini

I have conflate about your answer as Cisco mobility advantage solution required ASA with Mobility proxy features and also it have different mobility clients as iPhone OS, BlackBerry OS, Symbian OS and Windows Mobile also this clients support Dial via office feature

Is this client’s work with CUCM version 8.5 or new clients that i found for IPhone, Android and Nokia.

In CUCM 8.5 data sheet, it mention that mobile client support Dial Via office but new Mobility Client Data sheet didn't supported

Is this mobility Client need ASA with version 8 as CUMA or i can use Cisco router 2900 series

Regards;

TS

Tony

CUMA with ASA was the original strategy but Cisco is moving towards direct connect clients that don't need an additional CUMA server to function. So the new clients Cisco Mobile(now renamed Cisco Jabber) for IPhone, Droid can directly register without needing CUMA. Blackberry preferred direction is no longer with CUMA but using MVS from BB. You can use DVO with all these clients without CUMA. In the case of the IPhone/Droid you can set it up such that the clients can call through the system or have the system call you whichever works. ASA is still recommended for VPN outside the company. Blackberry MVS doesn't need ASA since they can tunnel to the BES directly but if you have a mixed environment of clients, ASA is preferred

Srini

I want to confirm what i understand

The old clients is not supportedwith CUCM 8.5 and there are new clients for Mobility Advantage which as follow:

MOBILE-USR Mobile User (select the total number of Android, iPhone and Nokia users you want to configure) $150

ADR-USR-LIC Android User License $0
IPH-USR-LIC iPhone User License $0

NOK-USR-LIC Nokia User License $0

Is i need to buy this clients or i will pay only RTU (Right to Use Licences)

This Client Data Sheet didn't mention that it support DVO and CUCM Data sheet mention that mobile clients support DVO

also in Client Data Sheet mention that need VPN Connection only so I offer Cisco 2900 with security Licences for outside network connection (Is it will work or not)

regards;

TS

You need both, the client RTU license and the licensing to connect to the server which will be enhanced if primary or adjunct if secondary assuming UCL.

See here for all the details, Section 13.2

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/ucbu_uc_og.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cumc/cisco_mobile/iPhone/8_0/Cisco_Mobile_iPhone_8x_RN.html#wp46650

VPN access however you provide should be good however I have only seen with ASA, I see no mentions of ISR Not being supported.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps7271/deployment_guide_c07-641141.html

Srini

Dear Sirini,

Very helpful reply. U seem to be an expert in this field.

I extracted the following from your emails,

1) CUCM 8..5 does not require CUMA +ASA+Proxy Licenses+ SSL to be accessesed by IPhone,Blackberry,Nokia Phones

2) I need to buy the following licenses for my mobile phones

MOBILE-USR Mobile User (select the total number of Android, iPhone and Nokia users you want to configure) $150

ADR-USR-LIC Android User License $0
IPH-USR-LIC iPhone User License $0

NOK-USR-LIC Nokia User License $0

Why is the Blackberry license not there?

3) ASA can be used for the VPN termination but its not a requirement? Is it correct? Does that mean i will be NATing a public IP to my CUCM for the registeration for mobile devices? Can you define the call flow?

4) Besides the CUCM 8.5 and Mobile User licenses , are there any other componets required to achieve the mobile access functionality?

Appreciate ur response.

regards,

Nouman

You do need SSL for outside access so that doesn't go away. CUMA + ASA PP does go away.

See my comment above on Blackberry MVS, It is not sold through Cisco

You need to launch a VPN tunnel from your mobile device whether it is IPSEC/SSL back to a headend device like a ASA. Once that is done, the client will register back to CUCM/Uconn/AD natively for IPhone/Droid.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cumc/cisco_mobile/iPhone/8_0/Cisco_Mobile_iPhone_8x_RN.pdf

See VPN requirements in the link above

Thanks

Srini

I recently tried to run the CCO config tool and all these new mobile clients (i.e. Nokia, iPhone and Android clients with top level SKU: MOBILE-K9) are said to be in NPH status (New Product Hold) until 23-JUN-11.

The only chance to have right now a direct access client is with iPhone; as a matter of fact, I've come along this product:

CUMC-K9   Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator and   Mobility Advantage (Top Level SKU)

VOIP-IPH-LIC   iPhone VOIP User License (Min 10)  --> Cisco Mobile 8.1 client for iPhone

This client, the evolution of "old" CUMC, is supported by CUCM 8.5, it's orderable and has direct access to CUCM (despite the name, CUMA isn't needed).

Here's my first question: I suppose that the Jabber client for iPhone is the evolution of Cisco Mobile 8.1 for iPhone but it'd be nice to know the new features the former will supply as opposed to the latter.

Let me please put a final question: if a buy the following (for every single user):

CUMC-K9 Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator and Mobility Advantage

VOIP-IPH-LIC iPhone VOIP User License (Min 10)

SP-ESW-CUMCK9 SP ESSENTIAL SW Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator and Mo

SP-ESW-VOIPIPHL SP ESSENTIAL SW iPhone VOIP Client Access License

UCSS-VOIP-1-1 UCSS for VOIP - 1 year - 1 user

will I be able to update it for free once the Jabber client is available?

thank you,

francesco

Today there are no differences. Cisco jabber is just a marketing name change, under the hoods it is still Cisco Mobile client. In the future features such as Presence will make their way but today it is the same client. I wouldn't be too fazed by NPH. Keep in mind the app is free to download from the app store. So the ordering process doesn't have much of an impact. Having the right number of DLU and you are good to go. I would order it the new way just to keep everything consistent since as I mentioned, the backend is still DLU and the app is from the App store. So NPH doesn't delay you in anyway

Even if you decided to order it the old way, UCSS covers you for updates down the road.

Srini

Sorry again.

For the VPN , can i dial the VPN from Nokia or iPhone via client or it need to be an anyconnect SSL VPN and i need separate licenses for that?

Sorry but i am just not very familiar with VPN via mobile phones.

You may need licenses on the ASA to handle these sessions such as Premium or Essentials + Mobile licenses. I am not a ASA licensing expert

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/license_standalone/license_management/license.pdf

Please also see attached documents, at the end of the day you need Any connect SSL Essentials or Premium + Mobile licenses

Srini

Hi Srini,

Thanks so much for answering all the questions on this thread. You really know your stuff. I appreciate all the guidance and clarification that you are giving and I hope everyone else does too!

Regards,

Mark

Collaboration Solutions Marketing

Thanks Mark for the kind words. the forum has been of immense help to grow your knowledge.

Srini

Hi Srini,

All the answers above have been really helpful, have been reading thru all the responses. Need your help to throw some light on how would Windows Mobile work with the new enahancements. We have recently setup as below for a client and need to provide support for Windows Mobile

we have CUCM 8.5 on UCS and CUWL PRO Licenses, we are providing support for iPhone and Blackberry (MVS is being deployed for the same).

There is not much info available on how Windows Mobile will now work, we are given to understand that we will need a CUMA server for Windows Mobile....is this right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: