cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Caller ID

tomahhospital
Level 1
Level 1

We use our desktop Jabber clients to control our phones, and as a result, we get the caller ID that pops up on the computer as well. We also use the Jabber app for our smart phones as our portables. My question is this - is there any way to force a specific extension to produce a specific Caller ID? We're a hospital, so patient care staff have their assigned extensions to be the default departmental ones. What ends up happening, is someone from that department will call, and the Caller ID on the phone will say "XYZ Department," but the CID on the computer and smart phone will say "Jane/John Doe." It's whomever has the first alphabetical name from that department. Is there any way to force it to "XYZ Department?"

Thanks in advance

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The problem with Jabber is that it goes to the directory and looks up whoever matches the ANI, and so, you will get whoever the process finds in the first place, there is no way to control that, besides making sure the directory numbers in LDAP are unique.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

That's pretty much what I figured. I was just looking for validation of it. I'm concocting a work-around. We'll see if it works.

Thanks Jamie

Any luck with your creative work around?

Hello,
What if the Jabber caller-id for all extensions is showing as the main company number. Is there a way to configure it that Jabber shows as unique caller-id for all users?
At the moment user a phones externally and main company number is displayed rather than his DDI. Once the desk phone is used the caller id is correct and the DDI is displayed. Thank you.

Jabber uses the directory source to look up the caller details instead of what’s configure in the UCM so ... you’ll need to make sure whatever is in the directory it is using contains what you want to be displayed

Hi Adam,
I have meant the other way around.
When I phone externally using my Jabber with extension eg. 2640 the number shown on the recipient phone is 2600 which is the company main number rather than my direct dial in. It is the same for all users across the company. The caller id shown on the recipients phone is always the main company number rather than users DDI. Thank you.
Regards,
Daniel

That's going to be based on a number of possibilities, given transformations, masks, etc.

I would suggest the Dialed Number Analyzer to get an idea maybe where the call is going, if it is going to be anything more substansive than an external number mask

On many carriers if you send something that isn't on your account as your calling party number your main BTN is displayed instead, which is my guess for what is going on here.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

We have the same issue and its rather frustrating.

We have overlapping extensions for our departments as they don't dial each other internally. 

So extension 7001 belongs to 7 departments (all different users) and is separated by CSS so they only have a 9.@ route pattern.

For the Jabber users using x7001, they could any up with any of the 7 users as their Caller ID.

Its a shame Cisco can't input a feature which tells Jabber to use the line CLI instead if the directory. 

Probably the easiest solution is to configure LDAP a search scope to an OU containing only departmental records. 

This is not as easy to do with UDS, as you have to play games with the data in the UCM database if you’re syncing. 

I am not sure how Jabber behaves in this case, if you leave only the URI in the user profile. 

It will display caller ID if there’s no lookup for the number, but anything you’re going to do here may break contacts or contact lookup. You could use a custom tab to provide an internal directory if modifying Jabbers directory source works.