cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Contact add

AskQ2Forum_2
Level 1
Level 1

We have an AD where users have an alias in the form of jbloggs. The same user will have an email address of joe.bloggs@xyz.com.

what is the best username to associate the user with in cup (i.e in CUCM so can be imported to CUP) - should we create username as jbloggs or joe.bloggs. (reason being is that everyone knows their email as joe.bloggs@xyz.com so they will automatically know their IM address).

We can search and find users from the AD (using EDI search) but we cannot add the users to our contacts group  - the users in AD we are trying to add are enabled for CUP and CUPC (license capabilities) - could the name mismatch be the reason ?

CUCM is not LDAP integrated yet - however if we do ldap enable it then users will have username of jbloggs format not joe.bloggs.

What is the best username as we want to be able to federate out of our organisation where we are only known as our email address format. (hope my question  makes sense!).

Kind Regards....Jag

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

As far as I know the IM address will be used to route the IM from one domain to the other. It goes without saying that both domains should be routeable and resolved by DNS. And yes you will need to use federation (XMPP or SIP depending on what the other side uses)

There is also the option to use the email address ONLY for external federation if you want to take advantage of it.

If you enable the highlighted feature the users in the external domain will have to use the email address of your users. if you don't use this feature they will have to add users by using userid@domain

Hope this is clear.

Christos

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Since you don't import users from AD to cucm you need to ensure that the you don;t  have a username mismatch

However you also have the option to synchronize with the AD and use the mail attribute in your cucm. For example the username of user Joe Bloggs would be in cucm joe.bloggs@xyz.com

HTH,

Christos

Christos

thank you for the response - so how does an external user outside of your organisation send an IM to joe.bloggs@xyz.com

and it internally gets delivered to the Jabber client thats using jblogg as a login name. (appreciate it involves setting up a federation) - does the IM get delivered to the AD account name because it has the email address in there?

Hi,

As far as I know the IM address will be used to route the IM from one domain to the other. It goes without saying that both domains should be routeable and resolved by DNS. And yes you will need to use federation (XMPP or SIP depending on what the other side uses)

There is also the option to use the email address ONLY for external federation if you want to take advantage of it.

If you enable the highlighted feature the users in the external domain will have to use the email address of your users. if you don't use this feature they will have to add users by using userid@domain

Hope this is clear.

Christos

Christos,

thank you so much - thats clarified my issue immensely.

Regards...Jag

Christos,

that last screenshot where is that from - I can't see the option in the federation section in CUP?

That's in Presence --> Settings

HTH,

Christos