Helpful
Replies

Jabber MRA deployment - Multiple CUCM clusters

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

I have a query regarding Jabber MRA deployment:

There are multiple CUCM clusters for which we need to deploy MRA but all of them are in the same domain. For jabber, we can use the MSI installer to hard code the server details during Jabber installation. Any suggestions for deploying MRA in this scenario. The major problem here is we cannot create sub-domains and we do have DNS SRV records (both internal & already pointing to one of the CUCM clusters. Now for the remaining clusters, please suggest on how MRA can be deployed and any other options other than sub-domains.

Thanks,

Rajan

8 Replies 8

Can you create DNS names like ,

CUCMPUB01@yourdomain.com
CUCMSUB01@yourdomain.com

If yes you can do it using DNS records as i know. do you have expressway
edge and core cluster in you deployment ?

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Using MRA - I assume you are external to the network? Do you have an Expressway setup with External DNS SRV records?

Within the SRV record for _collab-edge._tls.company.com, you can have one or more Expressway Edge servers specified with various weights and priorities. You can even go one step further and setup a GeoDNS designed to reach the closest expressway.

Even beyond that, each expressway can configure multiple CUCM clusters. So you can have a US and EMEA CUCM / Expressway deployment and create a mesh between the two.

In this case, as long as the user is only configured as a Home cluster user on one CUCM cluster, the expressway will find and locate the proper user / device.

Now take a step back, internally, you can do the exact same DNS SRV setup with _cisco-uds._tcp.company.com and your multiple UCM clusters.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion

Thats what we thought of doing, but is the GeoDNS option is available for Jabber MRA deployments? I thought this can be utilized only for WebEx teams.

Thanks
Rajan

//Even beyond that, each expressway can configure multiple CUCM clusters. So you can have a US and EMEA CUCM / Expressway deployment and create a mesh between the two.

In this case, as long as the user is only configured as a Home cluster user on one CUCM cluster, the expressway will find and locate the proper user / device.//

In this scenario, you mean to configure multiple CUCM clusters in the same Expressway cluster if I am not wrong. If so, wont all MRA calls (both US & EMEA Jabber) use the same expressway to dial out ?

For GeoDNS - I have it setup from Public DNS perspective, - which depends on the provider you are connected to for external DNS.

As for the Expressway, I have two Expressways, one in US, one in EMEA. Both have CUCM configs for US and EMEA. All you do on CUCM is create a SIP trunk to both as per normal, but you just have them in a top down route list so US always sends to US first, and only to EMEA if US were to fail or be down.

Thanks Mike. Another thing is few CUCM clusters have IM&P integration whereas others dont have. Will this present any issues you would think of with geoDNS deployment for MRA gobally ?

No, but for those without IM&P, you should setup the UC Profile and Jabber-config file to use Phone Only Mode.

Thanks.