Views
Helpful
Replies

Jump upgrade & CER

distruct1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I am preparing to upgrade a 6.1 CUCM cluster & CER 2.1 cluster to UCS and moving to UCS C240's.  I plan on following the Jump upgrade procedure for CUCM.  However, I am not sure how the CER will fit into this plan.  The docuementation states that CER needs to be upgraded prior to CUCM, however the jump procedure has a DRS of 6.1(4) moved to the UCS.  So can I upgrade CUCM via the jump all the way to 9.x, then move CER (2.1 to 7.1) to UCS (version 7.1) then upgrade to 9.x?

Anyone have any insight?

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, the jump upgrade procedure is ONLY for CUCM and no other product.

Any other product needs to go as high as necessary on the MCS, to be supported on virtualization, so then you backup from MCS and restore on UCS.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jamie, thanks for replying.

I get that there is no "jump" procedure for CER.  But if I follow the jump procedure for CUCM, how do I fit CER in this scenario?

My MCS hardware does not suppport direct upgrade to CER 9.x without a memory upgrade (2gb to 4gb)  The highest I can go is 8.0(1a) which doesn't appear to support virtualization.  However, if I upgrade to 8.0(1a), the CER 9.0 admin guide states it can be directly updated.  So that only means directly upgraded on same hardware and not moved to virtual?

Should I bite the bullet and find 2gb of memory?  Then upgrade existing to 9.0, follow jump procedure for CUCM, then move CER to virtual?

You neglected to tell us what the MCS server model is; however, most of the legacy models support a Bridged Upgrade to a version that is supported on VMware. In the case of CER the first version that was supported was 8.5(1) and it has a good number of bridge upgrade-supported models. You're probably best to take that route, take the backup, install the same 8.5(1) version on UCS and then upgrade to the final 9.x version.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.