Replies

Licensing Link (PLM/ELM) link no longer on cisco Unity splash page

bwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Unity: 12.5.1.10000-23 

CUCM: 11.5.1.14900-11

We recently upgraded Unity Connection from 9.1 to 12.5.  I had to get a new license key and pak file for it, as it is, we are in evaluation mode on Unity.  There's kind of a mess going on behind the scenes with a company merger.

After the Unity upgrade, there is no longer a  Cisco Prime License Manager link on the Unity splash page.  I still have it on the CUCM splash page.  When I go in there, it shows under Product Instance Alerts that the Unity Stats is "service Not Responding".  Then when I click the Unity link in PLM, it shows me the product, lets me edit hte name and discription, shows my Unity IP address and allows me to hit "Test Connection"  But that fails with a message "Test Connection Failed. The Cisco Prime License Manger client service on the product is not responding."  The license file I have was sent to me by TAC, it's an 11.5 license and from there we can get it updated to a 12.5 license once we get our Smart Account all set up and ready.

I do have the option in PLM to go to Licenses -> Fulfillment.  And I assume I can just fulfill the license there, but I haven't ever had to deal with licenses before.  Can anyone tell me if I need to fulfill the license first, then install the PAK?  Or the other way around?  I wanted to get some help from TAC, but I wasn't sure if this was a licensing issue, or a Unity issue, or both.  Hoping someone here can shed some light on this for me so i can get out of evaluation mode. It also seems like I need to do something to link up CUCM and Unity, I'm not sure if that's what happens when I install the new license/PAK, or if I have some troubleshooting to do to get the PLM services responding, to get rid of the "Service Not Responding" status.

I also went to "Product Instances" in PLM and tried to add a new Unity Instance, but when I test the connection, but I get a "Test Connection Failed.  The connection timed out while trying to reach the product instance, verify it is online  and the provided hostname/IP address is correct."   The hostname and IP address are both correct.

Also, side note, both my Unity publisher and subscriber (though in evaluation mode) are working just fine.   I just need to get the licensing/PLM issue figured out.

See attachment for some screenshots.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anything 12.x+ uses smart licensing, so, forget about trying to fix any of this with any PLM configuration.

PLM services only exists up to 11.5.

Go to your smart account/virtual account, do you see items listed under convert to smart licensing?

If you see the PAKs or licenses you want to turn into smart licenses, follow the wizard.

If not, you need to reach licensing and have them transfer your licenses from 11.x PLM format to 12.x smart licensing format.

The upgrade documentation for CUC explains this, was it not reviewed prior to doing the upgrade??

• With Unity Connection 12.0(1) and later, a new way of licensing "Cisco Smart Software Licensing" is introduced to use the various licensed features. Before upgrading Unity Connection from any earlier releases to 12.x and later, you must understand the Cisco Smart Software Licensing flow in Unity Connection at Managing Licenses chapter.
HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anything 12.x+ uses smart licensing, so, forget about trying to fix any of this with any PLM configuration.

PLM services only exists up to 11.5.

Go to your smart account/virtual account, do you see items listed under convert to smart licensing?

If you see the PAKs or licenses you want to turn into smart licenses, follow the wizard.

If not, you need to reach licensing and have them transfer your licenses from 11.x PLM format to 12.x smart licensing format.

The upgrade documentation for CUC explains this, was it not reviewed prior to doing the upgrade??

• With Unity Connection 12.0(1) and later, a new way of licensing "Cisco Smart Software Licensing" is introduced to use the various licensed features. Before upgrading Unity Connection from any earlier releases to 12.x and later, you must understand the Cisco Smart Software Licensing flow in Unity Connection at Managing Licenses chapter.
HTH

java

Great, thank you for the great information.

We don't have a Smart account yet, it's in process of being set up.  TAC said I should go ahead and install the license even though it's an 11.5 license, and then they could convert it to a 12.5 license when they get our smart account info.

So, just to be clear, it would be better to wait for the smart account to be setup before proceeding?

Well, you can install your 11.5 license on your PLM, but as your CUC is already 12.5, it's pretty much useless. Guess their idea is that you then can use the wizard to turn old licenses/PAKs to smart licensing.

In any case, you can't do anything until you get your smart account/virtual account sorted out, this should have been all done before the upgrade. If you run into any problems once all is setup, reach out to licensing.

Thoroughly review the link from my previous post to understand this, as you need to choose what model to use.

HTH

java

Awesome, thanks as always!  You're the best.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: