cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing / Registration of CUCM Version 12

Hi,

I tried to register my CUCM Version 12 unfortunately I got the following error:

"Communication Timeout – Will Reattempt automatically

The product Instance was unable to reregister with Smart Software Licensing due to communication timeout. Ensure that the Product instance can access your selected registration server. The Product Instance will automatically reattempt reregistration"

Find in attachment all processes I followed.

Kindly, your support is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

Re: Licensing / Registration of CUCM Version 12

https://vimeo.com/310177428

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
12 REPLIES 12

Make sure your firewall allows communication with the smart licensing servers for that to work, have you verified that there is connectivity?

HTH

java

VIP Collaborator

Are you connecting to Cisco's licensing portal directly or using a satellite server (mediated model) for licensing?

Maren

Highlighted

Hi Maren Mahoney,

I used this bellow documentation "Configure CUCM Smart Licensig - Direct Model"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/212915-configure-cucm-smart-licensing-direct.html#anc6.

Is there any other method to register CUCM Version 12?, If yes kindly share it with me

Thank you for the support

https://vimeo.com/310177428

HTH

java

VIP Collaborator

The Direct Model means that your CUCM (and other collaboration servers) will need to connect through the Internet to the Cisco licensing portal at least once every 30 days. Most organizations don't do this since security can be compromised. The more common way for organizations to implement v12 licensing is via a "Mediated Model". With this model, you will install a local/internal licensing server (a satellite server) to which your internal collaboration servers will go for license information. Your satellite server still will need to connect to the Cisco Licensing Portal at least once every 30 days, but that is a much easier 'ask' from a security standpoint.

Here is information on the Mitigated Model. And the link Jaime provided to the video he produced on this topic is one of many available on this topic. Take a look at the documentation and videos and let us know if you have questions.

CUCM Smart Licensing - Mediated Model

Maren

Hi Maren Mahoney,

Hi Jaime Valencia;

Thank you for your reference, Unfortunately there is Version Compatibility (It tells me to wait 10 business days - see attached document). Is it because I am using the latest version of Smart Software Manager satellite Enhanced Edition? Which version of CSSM satellite compatible with CUCM with the agent version of 1.3.6
Note that I am running CUCM 12 and Smart Software Manager satellite Enhanced Edition 6.1.0.

Thank you again for your support

VIP Collaborator

Rene,

I don't know. Perhaps Jaime knows. If you have access to TAC, they may be able to answer the question. Or possibly your Cisco Partner or Cisco Account Rep?

If you figure this out, please post here. We can all benefit from this sort of information. If, for one, will be following this discussion for that very reason.

Maren

Rising star

Hi,

If Smart Agent version is prior to 1.5 then you must wait 10 business days for Cert to be available and synchronized. If the version is 1.5 and higher then instances can be registered with no delay. This is mentioned in below Cisco Live document on slide 82.

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2019/pdf/BRKARC-2034.pdf

CSSM HTTP-HTTPS Communications.JPG

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

I agree with you, I had version 2.5 & didn't had to wait for 10 days to register.

However the issue raised here is for direct mode where the CUCM is on private IP.

Hi, you used the direct model and the CUCM is on Private IP. It won't able to communicate to Smart License Server on Internet. That's why you are getting that message .

Cisco Employee

This is not accurate.  I am doing this in several of my lab instances where all CUCM servers have private IP addresses.  You just need to make sure your internal servers can resolve cisco.com domain names.

With the DNS Server should be able to resolve cisco.com ...How are you achieving that? Assigning the proxy in the CUCM?
I appreciate your response.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards