Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balance Lync 2010 RCC Requests to CUPS 8.6 in a Cluster

anguyen1985
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Has anyone been able to successfully use a Netscaler load balancer to distribute the session-initiating requests that are sent from Microsoft Lync clients to the publisher and subscriber Cisco Unified Presence nodes?

Regards

Anthony

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not done it with load balancer, but I don't see a reason why it would not work as all you do is simply point to the VIP and let the load balancer re-distribute.  Another approach is to use a DNS SRV record.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

What appears to be happening after the load balancer re-distributes the requests is the return traffic back to Lync by-passing the load balancer.

Lync sees the connection coming from the CUPS IP Address direct & appears to not be happy with the connection as Lync sees that as an unathenticated connection.

Looking at another Cisco doc, this was overcomed by using a Cisco Content Services Switch with NAT rules to translate the CUPS IP Address to the VIP of the load balancer.

DNS SRV is another approach we can consider, but I believe there are some limitations with this approach such as when a server is down & this is where a HLB would be more ideal as it can monitor the servers.

Regards

Anthony