Views
Helpful
Replies

Long delay before tone in serial integration

davidwall
Level 1
Level 1

Here's a good one.

When a subscriber dials another subscriber and is diverted to the Unity, he hears the message of the subscriber he called. However, when the message is complete, there is a long (20+ second) delay before the "start recording" tone is heard.

Non-subscribers and outside callers do not experience the delay. Everything seems to work well for them.

What could be causing this problem?

Thank you.

Best regards,

David

7 Replies 7

davidwall
Level 1
Level 1

Further information: It's an MCI serial integration with a NEC NEAX 7400. It worked fine under Unity 2.4.6.

Just trying to find out if anything was discovered regarding this post. I am having the same issue with a Serial Nortel integration. 20 or more seconds occasionally before tone is heard. Let me know if you can help.

You might be able to find more information when you do a "learn tones". If something fails, it could point you to what needs adjusting. Sometimes the Learn Tones will automatically fix what you are having. Other times, you will have to edit the INI files manually to sync of the PBX to the Unity. Check and see what the Nortel is sending out of it's serial port. Sometimes PBX's will have different parameters for timing. (delays, etc) These can be adjusted so Unity can understand.

hope this helps

tc

The fact that the issue is periodic...should that push me in any direction?

If it's periodic, I think that would be different. But the fact being... the PBX rang the phone 4 times, no answer, it then transferred the call to the Unity server via SIP or analog. Unity is then in control of the call. When the subscribers greeting is played, it is pulling this out of it's database. After it is done playing, it should begin it's recording process. From my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong, the file is recorded as a wav file, then transferred to it's exhange server location (VM or UM) So it sounds more like Unity has something something screwy in it, not the PBX.

the serial connection from the PBX to Unity is only used for MWI signalling and certain commands. You must have some sort of analog card in Unity, or a PIMG device, VG2xxx device to transfer from PBX to Unity.

Its a dialogic card...actually 2 dialogics for 24 ports. I imagine unity generates the tone and sends it back through the PBX. The tone is eventually heard to my knowledge...but it may be 30+ seconds. It seems to be a Unity issue in my mind--some type of latency. What about traces that could track this?

First, what you could do is to look at the Port Monitor Status on a call. Watch how Unity answers the calls, sees the incoming digits and processes the call. You will see things like:

DTMF received ext 7530

Play John doe greeting

no caller input

recording greeting

hang up

But watch and see.. you know one extensions is having the problem, it could be just one port that is flakey on the diaglogic card. Meaning, that one port is the problem and it is the reason the "only sometimes" If you have 24 ports, 3 are bad... they are "hanging" for some reason.. causing the recording to lag in record start.

I would also run a report on the 24 ports to see if they are being over utlized or some are not doing anything at all. A good way to test each port is to call the PBX ext directly.

For instance... if you have 24 ports on Unity... each port is assign an analog ext from the NEC. You can pick up a phone, any phone and dial that ext to the port directly. You can watch the Port Monitor and see it answer and process the call. Heck, leave a message to see it work for each port. If each of the 24 ports work correctly, it's probably not a port issue.

The lag could also be the server being over utulized. If it's processing voicemail, exchange and SQL on the server, and you have 24 ports filled up, the server could be slowing down. Unity has to make database calls to itself to pull up a wav file for the subscribers greeting. If the server is running slow, the whole process drags out, hence the 30 second lag.

So check on the windows memory usage, processor usage, etc. When was the last time it was rebooted? I have seen things mysteriously fix themselves with schedule reboots. (every 2 weeks or something like that)

The Dialogic cards I have installed in the past have been known to have bad ports every now and then. It's not uncommon. Most of the time they rock. But if Unity is not in sync with the Diaglogic cards and the Diaglogic cards are not in sync with the PBX, you will have issues.

If the issue has magically just popped up after running this config for the past 12 months, then I would have to look a different angle. If this is a new install... it could configuration issues.

Sorry for the ramblings!

hope this helps.

tc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: