Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS 7800 Series Lab?

arrrghhh3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have recently upgraded a hodge-podge of MCS 7835 servers.  Some I1's, some I2's, and a single I3.

I was hoping to cannibalize all the RAM and HDD's to one server and make a lab/tools box.  For this, ESXi seems to be the best fit - however, I can't seem to get ESXi running on these boxes!

The BIOS configuration is quite scant... so I'm not sure if this machine is even capable of ESXi.  Based on the actual hardware specs, it should be capable... but perhaps there's some limitation of the motherboard or other hardware?

I was able to get ESXi 5.0 installed, but honestly I have no clue what made the difference.  I tried virtual DVD thru the out of band management interface (IBM's IMM), I tried a physical DVD and a USB key.  All would result in simply a black screen.  I could see the disc being accessed (all 3 types!) but it would not boot.

Eventually, I did get the physical disc to boot and I installed ESXi.  Now, whenever I reboot the box I'm met with that same dreaded black screen.  Worst part is, I don't even see the RAID configuration stuff - which makes me think this failure is beyond ESXi... but I could be wrong.

So has anyone done this before?  Is there some special caveats/steps I'm missing?  Would love to turn this old MCS box into something useful.  Thanks!!

15 Replies 15

arrrghhh3
Level 1
Level 1

Disregard... The BIOS was booting 'hard drive 0' when it should have been set to boot 'legacy devices'...

Go figure!  7835-I3 lab here I come!

Edit - OK... I'm not sure how or why but at some point I got the dang server to boot ESXi.  However, the password I entered (thru the IMM) didn't work.  I tried every combo I could think of that would've screwed up the password - nothing... So, now that I know how to set it up just reinstall ESXi - that was easy.  Reinstall went great - boot from "legacy" now tells me it can't boot, and from Hard Drive 0 (which is what "should" work) just yields a blank screen.

At one point I did successfully boot to ESXi, not the installer... Not sure how!  I guess I'll keep rebooting this thing and hoping.

I made some progress this morning.  If I boot the ESXi install disc, and then tell it to boot to 'local disk' instead of the installer, it actually works, I can run ESXi.

But seemingly every selection from the BIOS fails.  I'll keep poking at it, but this is just strange.

Here's the boot order:

http://i.imgur.com/72jAY.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/72jAY.png

and here's the sad screen after it runs thru that order:

http://i.imgur.com/PmKUT.png

Again, if I use the ESXi install disk and select "boot from local disk" I am able to boot ESXi.  What gives?  The 'ESXi boot' option in the boot order was a 'custom' boot option I made.  Not sure where to go with this...

Does anyone has solution of this error. I am not able to boot ESXi 4.0 from CD on MCS7800 server. Please send solution if you have successfully install VMware ESXi4 on MCS 7800 server.

I just had the same issue, boot into the BIOS, System Settings, Legacy Support, and set Force Legacy Video on Boot = Disable, and see if that helps.

Ryan Brancheau, CCIE #4216
Halcyon Consulting, LLC

I did not find system settings --> Legacy support ---> Force Legacy View on boot  for MCS 7835-I2 server. If you have screen shot please post it. I have checked all setting on BIOS, did not find anything similar option either.

Not sure, I found this on an I3, have you tried updating the BIOS?

Halcyon Consulting, LLC

I have not upgraded BIOS, Do you have steps to upgrade BIOS? I haven't done that before not sure what's success rate.

Go to the Cisco Downloads page and follow this path:

Products > Voice and Unified Communications >Communications Infrastructure > Voice Servers > Cisco 7800 Series Media Convergence Servers > Cisco MCS 7835-I2 > Voice Applications OS Firmware For IBM-3.6(6)

Download the ISO there, burn it to a DVD and reboot the server to the DVD drive.  Follow the on-screen instructions, and it will update any out-of-date firmware on the system.  If you just want to update the BIOS and not the IMC, RAID controllers, etc, you can just deselect those things and click next.  It seems to work every time for me.

Halcyon Consulting, LLC

Unfortunately, I do not have entitlement to download OS Firmware. This is old hardware so does not have any contract attached to it.

Hi, where you able to solve this? Having the exact same problem.

karima.taib
Level 1
Level 1

Hi please how can i start bios seting on MCS 7800 to install ESXi 5

Have you tried F2 or wait for the options to appear?

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Thanks , witch ESXi did you use on MCS 7800

Both ESXi4 and 5.

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: