Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MCS 7845

Hi all,

I'm new to IP telephony and our organization needs to manage and configure MCS 7845 which is brought in with new office. my question is can I have reference to get an idea about the how to do  configurations , application management and hardware. Quick reply highly appreciated. because I have a meeting with my manager.(I tried to find it on cisco site. but no reference found to unlucky me.    )

thank you

Chamara

I cannot post my replies. so that I'm trying to post it here.

thank you for every help. Gentlemens I'll let you know the status ASAP. thanks again

regards

Chamara

---------------------------------------------------

thank you very much. much appreciated all the time.

is that OS come with the CUCM appliation or how can I get that OS?

is there any reference about administrating MCS?

regards

Chamara

---------------

thank you very much for your quick reply. would you let me know is there any guide or manual for CUCM and MCS 7845.

My apologies about the answers I'm gonna provide to your  questions. Because still I'm not aware about those things. But I know  licenses should be in place and it is not a new box.

there will be new box which is not 7845. what will be the OS should I install?

actualy Aman, As I feel  first I need to gain some knowledge regarding the MCS and CUCM. Can you help me out on this by reference links please.

regards

Chamara

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi chamara

Please find the below links for a link which shows you some help for CUCM configuration:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26966

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmsys/a02cfgov.html

1-Before installation , you have to prepare NTP which will be so important for your Cinfiguration

2-Insert CD and follow instructions

3-After you finish installation , upload licenses.

4-Enable services for your CUCM

5-Enable auto registeration or Use BAT for your IP phones.

6-Configure date & time .

7-Register your GW which will be resoponsible for your incoming and outgoing calls.

8-Create DP.

9-Register your IP phones

Note: Just request any configuration ,and i can provide you with the configuration with snapshots.

Thank you

Please rate all useful information

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It is hard to provide the configs what u need to configure.

Is this a new box or some CUCM version is already loaded on it.

a. What is the CUCM version ?

b. What are the IP phone models  u need to integrate?

c. Any licenses which have been purchased?

regds,

aman

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi

You have to set a survey to collect information to do a good design:-

1-Get the number of your IP phones.

2-Get licenses for your IP phones.

3-CUCM version

4-The integrated applications ,as unity connection , presence , and so on.

5-Features which will be enable on phones (park ,pickup , conference , meetme, and so on).

6-Gateway , you have to get a gateway for inocming and outgoing calls.

7-Dial-plan for your Internal phones.

After you get these information , we can do a good plan for all your requirments

Thank you

please  rate all useful information

Hi Chamara,

a. The Call Manager version 5 onwards is Linux based .While doing the installation of OS [Linux] on 7845 , the CUCM application would also get installed.For Call manager version 9, Enterprise License Manager is installed along with Call manager installation.

b. You need to configure IP address,Gateway, Mask  NTP[if there], hostname of Publisher[Master/First Node server]

c. You need to configure Adminsitration Password, OS administration and Security password .Remember these passwords.

c. Once the same is done, u can initiate mail to Cisco Licensing Team with MAC address of MCS server.The same u can get from OS administration page of Call manager using Putty.Command is show netowrk eth0 details.

d. You need to upload the licenses.

e. once the same is done , u can manually configure the phones by entering MAC address in Call manager or go for auto-registration as well.

f. You can either use SIP or SCCP protocol for auto registration.

regds,

aman

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi chamara

Please find the below links for a link which shows you some help for CUCM configuration:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26966

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmsys/a02cfgov.html

1-Before installation , you have to prepare NTP which will be so important for your Cinfiguration

2-Insert CD and follow instructions

3-After you finish installation , upload licenses.

4-Enable services for your CUCM

5-Enable auto registeration or Use BAT for your IP phones.

6-Configure date & time .

7-Register your GW which will be resoponsible for your incoming and outgoing calls.

8-Create DP.

9-Register your IP phones

Note: Just request any configuration ,and i can provide you with the configuration with snapshots.

Thank you

Hi

I did some helpful steps for you to install CUCM step by step .

Step 1:

One option that is available is to create an answer file that is used for performing an installation unattended. If this answer file has been already created and copied to a USB key, insert it into the target device.

Step 2:

Insert the installation media into the target device and reboot.

Note: The operating system and CUCM application are installed using the same installation program.

Step 3:

The first thing that is prompted is a media check, this check verifies that the DVD media is intact and has no read problems. If this is the first time the media has been used, performing a media check is cheap insurance that everything will be installed correctly. If the media has been previously verified, this check can be bypassed.

Step 4:

This step checks to ensure that the hardware is correctly configured. Hardware configuration and additional reboots may be required.

Step 5:

The next thing that is prompted is product deployment selection, three options are possible, these include:

• Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM)
  • Cisco Unity Connection (CUC)
  • Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition 5000

As this article is focused on CUCM, this will be the product to select. Only products that are supported by the current hardware will be selectable.

Step 6:

The next screen is for the Platform Installation Wizard which will prompt to proceed with installation. This screen also offers other methods to proceed including unattended installation and to configure previously installed hardware. Simply select the method that is specific to the installation.

Step 7:

Another secondary step that is available is to upgrade to a more recent service release during the installation. If this is an option that is relevant to this specific installation select yes, the installation will continue on and eventually reboot (at the end of these steps), on reboot an Install Upgrade Retrieval Mechanism Configuration window will display and go through this process.

Step 8:

The next window will prompt for a timezone selection, select the correct timezone for the device.

Step 9:

The installation wizard will then prompt for Ethernet configuration settings including speed and duplex settings. Select either Yes (for autoconfiguration) or No and select the appropriate Ethernet settings.

Step10:

The next window will prompt for MTU configuration, if the default MTU on the network is different than default then enter the appropriate MTU. Typically, the MTU should be left at the default settings, incorrect configuration can affect network performance.

Step 11:

The next window will prompt for device network addressing configuration, the device can be configured to automatically obtain an address through a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server or it can be manually configured.

Step 12:

Do not choose DNS .This is not recommened on Cisco to use DNS.

The next window will prompt for the device Domain Naming System (DNS) configuration information, enter the DNS information for this device. Once this step is complete the device will reboot with the configured settings. After reboot the device, the basic installation of the device will be complete and the specific settings will need to be configured depending on the specific application of the device, for example, is the device stand alone or is it part of a cluster.Ignore this step , Do not choose DNS .This is not recommened on Cisco to use DNS.

Once the basic installation process has been completed the user can then configure the device with the settings specific for install. These options include whether the device will be included as part of a CUCM cluster.

After that

Please check the licenses configuration on the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/install/cmins861.pdf

Note:If you did above , now your CUCM is up and waiting for phones registeration.If you need more articles , or any documenation we are here for your help

Thank you

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have no idea of how/what to configure in CUCM, hot to design a dial plan, features provided by CUCM vs features required, if the underlying infrastructure is good for VoIP, if you need QoS, how many trunks you'll need, etc, etc. to ensure this is successful, you should contact a Cisco partner who has plenty of experience with CUCM to avoid future problems and guarantee the customer satisfaction.

Otherwise, there are no guides from a to z on what to configure in CUCM. You should already know that ahead of time, along with what ip phone models you'll configure, if the CUCM version supports them or not, etc.

My advice would be to hire a professional to guarantee this is configured under the best practices and to avoid future problems.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

The server is already in production. I got followed information yesterday.

Platform Type : 7845H
Processor Speed: 3400
CPU Type: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz
Memory: 4096 Mbytes
Object ID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.586
OS Version:   operatingsystem.UCOS4.0.0.0-9

I have to do is integration the server with active directory. not to configure from scratch. as per discussions with manager he said there is some authentication server on different site and we just only aquire one office. I 'm realy courious to do this task. because I can learn from it. anybody can let me know what kind of questions should I ask to gain valuable information

thank you for every advice you gentlemen provided.

regards

Chamara

Hi

Please also the below:-

When completing a fresh installation of CUCM it will use its own embedded LDAP directory to store End User information. In most cases it is preferred to integrate CUCM with a corporate LDAP directory such as Micrsoft Active Directory rather than managing two separate user databases. This becomes even more apparent when there are multiple CUCM clusters as they can share the same corporate directory.

Step 1 – In CUCM Serviceability > Tools > Service Activation the Cisco DirSync box must be checked and the service Activated.

Step 2 – Go to Cisco Unified CM Administration > System > LDAP > LDAP System to identify what type of LDAP system to synchronize with and how to reference the users. Enable Synchronizing from LDAP Server must be checked. The attribute sAMAccountName refers to the logon name for the domain.

Step 3 – Click on System > LDAP > LDAP Directory and click Add New. In this example the Active Directory domain in my lab is ccie.local and the IP address of the Domain controller is 100.100.100.18. The LDAP Manager Distinguished Name in this case is the default Windows system administrator account for my domain (administrator) but best-practice in a production deployment would be to use an isolated user account different than the default administrator account so it’s setup specifically for CUCM and Active Directory integration.  The LDAP User Search Base uses two attributes to make up a dn (distinguished name). This includes the cn (common name) and the dc (domain component). The rules of LDAP define the most significant part of the distinguished name is furthest to the right.  In this case it is dc=local. The last thing to note for this step is that synchronization occurs once per day at 6:00 AM. The smallest window of time to synchronize is six hours.

Step 4 – Click on System > LDAP > LDAP Authentication. This will authenticate CUCM End Users using Active Directory instead of the embedded CUCM directory.

At this point CUCM should be ready to synchronize with Active Directory. Before doing this, note that any End Users on the CUCM cluster that do not exist in Active Directory will be set to Inactive.  For example, I had user HQ4 created prior to configuring LDAP.  After configuring LDAP the user appears as Inactive under the End User listing. I went to my Windows 2008 Server and added user HQ4 to the domain ccie.local and the user is now active.

Click on System > LDAP > LDAP Directory then click Perform Full Sync Now

I have a total of six users in my Active Directory. Prior to performing the synchronization step in CUCM I had one End User called HQ4 that was managed locally using CUCM’s embedded LDAP directory.  I proceeded to create users HQ1, HQ2, HQ3, HQ4, SITEB1, and SITEB2 in Active Directory without having them present in CUCM (except for HQ4).

After performing the synchronization the users which were created in Active Directory are now appearing in the CUCM End User list and LDAP Sync status is showing Active

The most important information which should be gathered:-The below information should be gathered by your System administrator.

1-IP address of your AD (Active Directory).

2-.LDAP User Search Base

Thank you

thank you for replies islam. I have to try these things first and let you know. currently I'm working in different site and I have to go to US site to do the task. if there's any issue I'll contact you. Thank you very much for your support. much appriciated

thank you all others too. your help also much appreciated. you guys done aamaizing job when I felt alone and failed.

thanks again

regards

Chamara

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: