cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MeetingPlace 8.5 software on hold?

Travis Cassell
Level 1
Level 1

Last week I placed an order for our MeetingPlace upgrade because I was told it was shipping 8.5.  However today I get an email stating that it's on new product hold until October 11.  Seriously????  Has anyone actually seen MP 8.5 or is it vaporware?

29 Replies 29

John

If that's the case why is there a blanket statement being made by the BU here that it isn't supported. It's a big difference between recordings won't happen to, recordings will happen on the PC

I wish you updated the guides since even with the MP scheduling option I remember the numerous caveats you pointed out that weren't on the doc wiki. Hope the BU is listening...

Srini

I agree but I have gotten this to work at a couple ofaccounts using MP 8.5.2 with the WebEx Node.  In an internal meeting whenyou click the record button a window pops up so you can indicate where to putthe file.  I think some of the BU statements mean to say Cloud recordingis not supported but forget the cloud part. It is easier to dissimilate recordings from the cloud as it is a URLinstead of a file and a player to play it on.   Of course it is easy to convert the localWebEx recording to Mpeg 4 and send out that file which will be smaller and notrequire a WebEx player.

John

Cool thanks for the insight, maybe it's time you started your own doc wiki page for MP :-). No where in that link do they even mention NBR caveat.. :-(

Srini

Raj

We are having many issues with PUT and we need the media kit for the Node and MP 8.5 quickly. Initially we PUT worked fine for us and we got the kit for 8.0 but now we are having issues and we need the kit for 8.5

SO # is 50700223

Thanks

Srini

Latest news is "WebEx Node for MCS" will be replaced/rebranded by "WebEx on Premise" in Q1-Q2 2012 apperantly.

I also heared that webex node will be removed from the CUWL licensing from 2012. (my guess it will be bundled with WebEx subscription)

I received MP upgrade kit no problems but you need to do the following to hurry things up:

send email to  mp-upgrades-aus@cisco.com for australia or mp-upgrades@cisco.com for global users in the following format for the products and QTY you need:

- Ship-to Company:

- Ship-to Address:

- Ship to Contact:

- Contract Number:

Product Number       Product Description                         Qty

MP8-WEBEX-UPG=       MeetingPlace Web to WebEx Ports Upgrade     1

MP8-WXNODE-K9-UPG=   MeetingPlace 8.x WebEx Node Upgrade         1

MP8X-AV-SVR-K9-UP=   MP 8.x Audio/Video Server Upgrade           1

MP8X-WB-MCS-K9-UP=   MP 8.x Scheduling Server Upgrade for MCS    1

MP8X-WB-UCS-K9-UP=   MP 8.x Scheduling Server Upgrade for UCS    1

Srinivasan: You seem like a meetingplace guru, can you please help with this:

1-    You can install on MCS supported servers (Which is expensive in comparison to the market and old technology that will become obsolete within 1-2 meetingplace major releases (equivelant to HP G6 which is a year old))

2-    You can install on UCS C class servers

3-    To install on UCS servers you need to install on vmware enterprise (vmware standard or advanced for UCSC200M2-VCD) and not to install on bare metal, not sure why!!

4-   For QoS to work then I need to buy Nexus V1000 switch as well (which In the vmwware standard or advanced case this offcourse won’t work)

5-    Specification-Based Hardware is not supported with meetingplace for UCS C or MCS server (not 100% sure)

6-    VM Co-residency is not allowed for meetingplace

1. So, basiclly i need to either install on expensive and old MCS servers and have a lot of pyhsical servers, or buy cheapUCS but then pay for expensive VMwrae licenses per processor, nexus v1000licenses and not be able to run more than one VM on the same server. so what isthe point!!

Problems i had in the lab and wish someone can help (Already logged a TAC but it's been going for a while)

I installed the application 8.5.2 server OK no problems

Then i tried to install webex node for mcs everything is ok till i try to connect to the application server and then it won't work (i checked the netowrk 100 times and tried to reinstall another 100 times ) anyway, i skipped this and i said i will try to configure manually from the CLI. i can only do this through the wbxadmin account and guess what, there is no wbxadmin account.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Ash

Hello

John Dedell is the real MP guru :-) I just know a few things here and there he has installed it maybe he can jump in. I can't help you on the install piece haven't done that but on the pts you have listed, the only comment i have is Nexus 1KV isn't required for any UC app. Its just recommended if there are multiple apps sharing a blade enclosure and one needs to give priority outbound, DSCP tagging etc. On the other stuff you are right today C200 is the cheapest option for both app server and Node. VMware standard cannot be procured from Cisco for MP for some reason(I have a thread with the PM on it). Lastly one can buy cheaper VMware for 1 CPU for C200 for 250 ports, 2 CPU is for 500 ports so you can save some money there.

Srini

Cisco has deemphasized the WebEx Node for MCS in 8.5.  The main reason for this is the Node does notsupport Video for internal meetings. Only external meetings can have video. Not a major issue as the video icon does not show for internal meetings.  Also internal meeting recording are stored onthe Moderator’s PC and not the cloud. And yes it is removed from CUWL for MP 8.5. 

I agree that if the customer is ready, using UCS servers isthe better route.  MP and the WebEx Nodecan be installed on both the C210 servers and B200 blade and supports up to1200 concurrent audio G.711 calls.  When installingon the C200 you need to order the MP software for that server from what I haveread.  Haven’t installed MP on a C200 yetthough.  The C200 does not need VMware advancedbut currently it is required on the C210 and B200.  Not sure why either.

I agree with Srini that you don’t need the Nexus V1000switch. 

During the install you are asked for the wbxadminpassword.  Watch out for special characters.  Not all work properly when you try to sign inbut are accepted when you enter them during the install.   I usually use ! as the system requires atleast one special character.

To your lab problem. If the WebEx Node does not find the Application Server then it is usuallyone of two problems.  Either theApplication Server host name is not in DNS or there is a hardware issue with theserver.  I just did an install and hadthe same issue.  The problem was the NICwas bad on the mother board of the IBTo trouble shoot, first verify that the DNS server IP address is correctand there is no issue with the switch.  Ifcorrect bypass the Application Server configuration on the Node.  Reboot the server when the install iscompleted and see if you can ping the Application Server.  To get ping to work you will need to SSH tothe Node and sign on using wbxadmin and the password you indicated during theinstall.  Enter utils system terminal then you should be able to try to pingthe Application Server. Ping the IP address and if that works the NIC is goodand ping the Application Server host name. If that works try using the CLI to link the Application Server to theNode.  Another issue is if you are on twodifferent subnets, can then communicate with each other.  Guess this should be the first place to check.

Let me know if you have any questions.

John

thanks Srini/John your input helped me a lot.

BTW, the 8.5.2 kit comes with all the cd's for MCS, C200, C210, etc..

Regarding my problem MP 8.5.2 does not let you bypass the application server settings anymore like version 8 to be configured manually from the CLI. I wiped everything and started again with same settings and my webex node was able to talk to the app server (one of Cisco 1000000000 wonders of the world)

Regarding the Nexus 1000v: Do you think it's not needed even if i have a lot of calls across the wan? will the call be automaticlly detected by the router and prioritized and tagged for my carrier?

Do you know where can i find the windows product key for my web server installation? i tried my business VLK and it didn't work. i tried googling it but i can only find a key for mp5.3

Thanks

Ash

The bypass is now before the WebEx Node configuration as it bypasses both the WebEx node and Application Server configuration.  Glad you got it worlking.

The window's product key should be on the Windows DVD and only needed when installing MeetingPlace scheduling.

CUCM should be setting the proper QOS Settings for calls originated from MP so you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

John

Hi john

I colud not find the windows product key on the dvd. The only thing written on the dvd is 1.0.0.3 and meeting place server version.

Is it in a file on the dvd?

Thanks

That does not sound right.  The Windows OS disk should be at release Windows  2003.1.5 SR 4 or something close to that.  I am not sure what 1.0.0.3 is refering to. 

John

Hi John

I logged a TAC call for two weeks now without an answer yet. Will have to wait and see.

A couple of questions. I am testing meetingplace webex scheduling with a webex site on vmware. everything is working beautiful except for two things and i would like to have your opinion:

1- I can't login remotly using the root username and password from Putty or WinSCP (I can login from the console though)

2- EMS high quality option (All Codecs) under Media Resource Configuration is greyed out!! and i can only use G.711

Regarding point 1, do you know an easy way to copy the 8.5.2 HF1 patch to the box? i am not good with linux specially after cisco removed the GUI

Thanks

Sorry I have not gotten back to you earlier but was on vacation last week.

1 To log in remotly you need to use the wpxadmin account and password you setup during the install.  Then you can su to root.  This works for both Putty and WinSCP.  I use WinSCP to copy upgrades/patches to the server.  With this you don't need to know Unix commands.  The upgrade document contains the commands needed to install the upgrade once the file is one the server.

2 Have you loaded the license file yet?

John

Hi John

i used the mpxadmin account and it worked fine, thank you.

With the EMS T2 Webex Scheduling deployemnt you can't change the codec under media resources, you need to change it on the site as it's a meeting Director site.

Thanks once again.

Ash

asfdasd
Level 1
Level 1

also installed this with HA and Webex integration ... very easy works well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: