Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate CUCM 6.x to CUCM 9.x

Cesar TM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need migrate CUCM 6.x (8500 DLU - 1000 IP Telep.) to CUCM 9.x. Can i Directly migrate 6.x -> 9.x or need first migrate 6.x -> 8.x and then migrate to 9.x?

Need more additional licenses?

NameCatalog NumDescriptionUnit
Price
Final
Price
Qty
Voice and IP Communications
R-UCL-UCM-LIC-K9R-UCL-UCM-LIC-K9Top Level SKU For 9.x User License - Electronic Delivery0,000,001
Software
CCX-90-CMBUNDLE-K9CCX-90-CMBUNDLE-K9CCX 9.0 Promo Bundle available only with NEW CUCM or BE6000IncludedIncluded1
IME-PAK-K9IME-PAK-K9Auto-expanding PAK for IME 9.0IncludedIncluded1
UCSS-UCM-PAKUCSS-UCM-PAKInclude PAK Auto-expanding UCSS PAK for CUCMIncludedIncluded1
CUCM-VERS-9.0CUCM-VERS-9.0CUCM  Software Version 9.00,000,001
IME-VERS-9.0-K9IME-VERS-9.0-K9IME  9.0 Server Software0,000,001
MIG-CUCM-USR-BMIG-CUCM-USR-BMigration to UC Manager Enhanced - 1K - 10K Users9,009,001.000
UCSS-UCM-ENH-B-3-1UCSS-UCM-ENH-B-3-1UC Manager Enh UCSS 1K to 10K users - 1 user - 3 years29,0029,001.000
Services
CON-ESW-MIGCUC03CON-ESW-MIGCUC03ESSENTIAL SW Migration to UC Manager Enhanced6,006,001.000
61 Replies 61

Dan

I now have a project to upgrade an 8 node, 8500 user  UCM 6.1.3 cluster to version 9.1. I've been following the recent collaboration presentations and it appears that VM Jump could be very beneficial in this case. In addition to upgrading UCM, we're also upgrading UCCE from 7.2 to 9.0. In order to avoid a single flash cutover of UCM and UCCE over a single weekend, which I think could pose a lot of problems and overrun badly, I'm exploring the possibility of a "leapfrog" approach. We would upgrade UCM and UCCE independently of each other (to compatible versions) so that at each stage, only one of UCM or UCCE would be upgraded at a time.

Part of this plan involves taking a DRS export from UCM 7.1.5 on the production MCS servesr and importing it to virtualised UCM 7.1.5 built with VM Jump media on new UCS servers. My understanding is that UCM 7.1.5 VM Jump software cannot be run in production and that the process is to upgrade from there to 9.1.2. We can't go straight from 7.1.5 to 9.1.2 on UCM because of incompatibility with UCCE - we'd have to first go to UCM 8.6(2a) before a further upgrade to 9.1.2.

So my question is this: having imported my DRS data into the virtualised UCM 7.1.5 built with VM Jump media on UCS, can I then upgrade to 8.6(2a) and bring this into production for a temporary period of time? If this is possible, my UCM on 8.6(2a) would be compatible with  UCCE and we'd be able to complete the stepped upgrade process until UCM and UCCE are both on version 9. (ie upgrade UCCE to version 9 then finally upgrade UCM from 8.6(2a) to 9.1(2))

Regards

Brian

Brian,

The answer is no, that is not supported. The Jump procedure requires CUCM 9.1(2).  That is the specific version that has relaxed the 'from' requirement to allow a virtualized CUCM to be upgrade to 9.1(2).  Additionally, even if you did move from 7.1(5) to 8.6(2) in the lab, Cisco will not guarantee the performance.  In our testing, an unaligned partition experienced significant reduction in call processing capacity.  Since the 7.1(5) is alignment unaware, the OS will be unaligned until you DRS backup and reinstall the OS. 

For you specific deployment, if you must stop at 7.1(5) along the way, that would need to be on physical servers that you could install in the lab, then upgrade to 8.6(2), then bring back into production to complete the upgrade.  But w/o extra MCS servers, this may not be possible.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

Grrrrr!!!! Starting to lose it a little now: -

I have ran through your process above, I have produced screenshots of "License Unit Report" from 6.1.4 System, I have included report file from "License Count Tool" from 6.1.4 installation, I have provided "SO#" Number and screenshot of e-delivery information that shows both the CUCM 9.0 entitlement and License upgrade to 176 Enhanced Users, I have provide "ELM License Usage" and finally provide "ELM License Request" I zipped all of this up into a ZIP file and what do Cisco Licensing say: -

Dear Stuart Pannell,

My name is Josh Estrada and I am a member of the Cisco Global Licensing Operations Team.  I am the current owner of your case number, 624594603.

In order to license the new version, you will require ELM.

The ELM (Enterprise License Manager) will be installed together with the CUCM 9 software.

Please see here for the user guide of this software:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/elmuserguide/9_0_1/CUCM_BK_E596FD72_00_

enterprise-license-manager-user-90.pdf

The overall process is as follows:

1. Make sure your licensed features are applied on the current servers 2. You upgrade (remember, the upgrade installs automatically ELM) 3. At this point, your new software will run for a grace period of 60 days, with no license installed 4. You run the ELM (see user guide above) 5. You generate the license request on the ELM (see sections starting on page 26 of 50 in the referred document) 6. Then you take the resulting file and you run it through the online tool (Cisco License Registration site) to generate a new license:

a. Visit cisco.com/go/license

b. Click on the "Get New" tab

c. Select "Migration License"

d. Click on "Cisco Unified Communications 9.0"

Detailed steps are documented in the link I referred, as well as in the admin guide of the CUCM (for the license install, for example).

If you need further assistance with a software license request please let me know as I will be happy to help. If I do not hear back from you, I will file this case as "resolved."

Thank you for contacting Cisco.

Best regards,

Josh Estrada

Cisco Global Licensing Operations

Message was edited (private contact information removed) by: Kelli Glass, Moderator for the Collaboration Community

Josh,

I understand your frustration.  The case has been escalated by the licensing team and I am escalating this matter to my contact in the licensing team.  There appears to be a disconnect between what my contacts in licensing are telling me about how to upgrade and what the actual licensing folks are doing.

I will get back to you when I get an update (and hopefully soon)

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Thanks Dan! We are trying this tomorrow. Does this work in a similar manner with Unity Connection ? We are moving from Unity 7.0 to Unity Connection 9.1.

Dan

You might also want to clarify from 4 to 9 if the steps change. It will be a fresh build and in this case UCT cannot be run on 4.x so what does licensing need to see on the old system to ensure they can provide licensing on 9.X?

Srini

ELM migration for 3.x, 4.x CUCM:

For customers that have CUCM 4.x and earlier, the upgrade process and migration into ELM will be different.  In the 4.x and 3.x versions, licensing was based on a Right To Use (RTU) scheme.  This meant that when a customer bought a phone, they purchased the RTU license for the phone at the same time.  The migration to DLU licensing in CUCM 5.x and later was taken care of during the Windows to Linux upgrade process.  When a customer is upgrading from a Windows version of CUCM to 9.x, that RTU to DLU conversion will not be available.  Cisco recommends that the 4.x to 9.x upgrade be a fresh install and either define, import or sync the users and phones from the previous version. (Please see my earlier posts on why 9.x should be a new install vs. a upgrade).

Once the 9.x has been configured and the users/phones are associated, then go to ELM and gather the licensing requirements for the 9.x deployment.  At this point, the new licenses for the 9.x deployment will be set and the customer will need to open a case with Cisco Licensing to have them issue a license key based on the 9.x deployment.  There is no automatic way to complete this process, so a case with Cisco Licensing is required to get a valid ELM license.

Since a CUCM/UCX have a 60 day grace period before licensing is enforced, an administrator should correct all licensing requirements before requesting an ELM license from Cisco Licensing.   Once the ELM license is requested, additional license requests will need to follow the standard ordering process.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

steven1066
Level 4
Level 4

I need some clarification in regards to the licensing migration done by ELM.

When the migration of licenses occurs within ELM, does it identify DLU's and/or registered end-points?

If DLU's, what about un-used DLU's, how does it determine what these will become (e.g. Enhanced, etc.)?

If not DLU's but rather end-points, does this mean that we will need to have all devices registered with CUCM prior to the migration (including the spare phones sitting in a cabinet...similar to what we had to do when migrating from v4)?

I look forward to a clear explanation as to the process as so far I have not found anything that makes sense.

Steven

Thanks, I just got ahead of myself thinking I might want to post the same question in this thread

Hello.

I want to upgrade cucm 6.1(5)SU3 to 9.1.

All phones have extension mobility.

Do you know how will impact upgrade on extension mobility?

Thanks in advance.

This issue has been addressed in CUCM 9.1(1a).  When you upgrade to this version, you will be granted a no cost Basic License for the EM users.  You will then have a UCL enhanced or CUWL standard license that will apply to the phone. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Hello,

We must upgrade CUCM cluster ( 6.1.5 to 9.1) and change IP adress.

What is the best way to have a succefull upgrade ? change IP before upgrade, or vice versa ?

Thanks in advance.

Dan,

A though just occured to me.  As you described above, on upgrades Cisco will grant a zero cost basic license for each extension mobility user.  But what about new system sales?  Is extension mobility also zero cost, or do I need to be building in a basic license for each extension mobility enabled device? 

New or existing users (EM) is the same design which is no cost.

Thanks

Srini

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: