cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration unity 7.0.2 VMO to unity 7.0.2 UM AD changes user information

juan.salaiza
Level 1
Level 1
Hi every body, i have a migration with Unity VMO to Unity UM, but i have a doubt about the alias, name, last name and display names of user´s homed on Unity VMO. Mi scenario it´s:

-Current server: Unity VMO 7.0.2, it´s is own AD Server and Exchange Server.

-Migration server: Unity UM 7.0.2 with exchange 2007 as mesage store and it´s a member server of AD Windows 2003 server.

I have a lab with information above, i ran a COBRAS export on the customer´s Unity VMO and i got a database. And i noticed that user´s on AD have different Username, last name and display name than Unity´s user but both users have the same alias, so when i on my lab and try to import user´s with cobras import tool, so the importation it´s successful but on AD the information about last name, name and display name of the user are changed by the Unity´s user. (obviously i assigned an mail box to user on exchange 2007)

For instance:

Before Migration

*Unity´s user

First Name: Jose

Last Name: Rios

Display Name: Rios, Jose

Alias: JRios

Ext: 4543

*AD user

First Name: Jorge

Display Name: Rios Jorge

After Migration

*Unity´s user

Display Name: Rios, Jose

Ext: 4543

*AD user

Display Name: Rios Jose

Name: Jorge Rios   THIS IS MY DOUBT WHY COBRAS CHANGES FIRST NAME, LAST NAME, DISPLAY NAME?

So the question is why cobras had change the information above? i don´t wanna this happen in my migration, so does any body knows if i doing something wrong? or what is the best way to migrate an Unity VMO 7.0.2 to Unity UM 7.0.2 importing and mapping user´s between Unity´s Users and Active Directory´s Users? i want to keep users integrity on AD. Do i need to changes User´s last name, first name and display name on Unity VMO first and then make another database backup with cobras export? and import users with cobras import on the new Unity UM to ovoid the changes on AD?.

I attached images with users on AD and Unity before and after migration proccess.

Please help me.

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

couple things here.

1. You aren't doing anything wrong - this is expected behavior.

2. COBRAS is not makign that change in AD - Unity's directory syncher is.

3. There's no way to prevent this - it's how the directory sync works.

When COBRAS does the restore it creates the user in Unity's SQL database and then flags it to synch to the directory (AD in this case) - if you change the first/last/display name in Unity's SA or via Bulk Edit or CUBI or any other client, this change gets reflected to AD by the Unity directory syncher.

COBRAS does let you edit the alias and primary extensions to match a new environement but it's highly unusual to decide to change the first/last names in the process - in fact this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing on a migration.

Short version is if you are changing the first/last names as part of this and you don't want that changed, you'll either have to bulk edit them before/after the migration - you can't tell COBRAS not to do this since it's not the party making the change.

-J

My friend lindborg thanks for your help thet information that you gave me was very helpuful . But i still have doubts, i don´t know i if wrote down the explanation well because i don´t have a good english, however let me be more specific with this. The current customer´s Active Directory (i don´t mean Unity´s Active directory) has the whole data base of user´s and people use them to logon their computer´s, to logon their email, to searching user´s on the directory of their company, but the current Unity and its Active Directory has difference on user´s information than the user´s Active Directory of production. So just because i wanna keep information on the current customer´s Active Directory of production. I was thinking change user name, last name and display name on Unity first, and then re run cobras export to have the same User´s information on Active Directory (the production one) and Unity (database got it with cobras), so when cobras importing executes and Unity´s SQL database try to make a sync don´t change User´s information on Active Directory (the production one).

What happen if i change those parameter on unity web page administrator with it´s normal behavior ? i mean the Current Unity has 720 user on it´s database, and my idea is make this changes and let works for a week and then make a migration? so is this is correct procedure to do that or what can you recommend me to avoid issues? i readed on another discussion the DTMF´s directory failed after changes, is tha true?

thanks again.

If I'm understanding you correclty, one way to do this is to import all those users from the new AD on the new install into Unity first (create all the users and it'll use the data from their new AD for first/last/display name, alias etc... ).  Then you can do a COBRAS import from you backup of their Unity system.  If the aliases match then this is all you need to do.  If the aliases do not match you can edit them in the COBRAS backup using the Data Viewer utility on the COBRAS home page so they do.

This way the first/last/display names, alias and primary extension wont get touched - those are only set in the Unity database when COBRAS creates a NEW user from scratch using the backup data, not when an existing user is edited.  This would have the effect you're looking for I think.

Yes, editing the first/last/display name in the Unity SA will write through to AD.  As noted Unity's directory syncher will write those properties out to AD if they are changed by any client (SA, PCA, BulkEdit, CUBI, COBRAS etc...).  You could do that as well but it would seem to me to be easier to have all the users imported first and then just update them so all their other properties (greetings, voice names, passwords, messages etc...) get updated but their top level data (first/last/display name, primary extension, alias, email address) are left alone.

I don´t want import user´s from new AD, i just want to change User Name, last name, First Name, Display name on current Unity Stand alone before the migration so with this changes i can let the same information on the Unity Stand Alone and the New AD, next step that i want to do it´s to run de COBRAS Export tool again on the Unity Stand Alone to get a new backup with information Updated. Then on my New Unity UM i want to run COBRAS Import tool and import the user´s from lastest backup to have the same information and to avvoid changes that i don´t want to take on the new AD becase i noticed that information from Unity´s takes precedence on the AD.

i know that aliases must match and it´s all that i need, but as i told you before my customer it´s going to be affected if the information on his AD changed becouse of migration.

it´s the procedure correct?

hope you can understend me well in this time.

thanks a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: