Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration Week - Cisco Unified CM Upgrades & Upgrade App

Jeffrey Ou
Level 4
Level 4

Hello!

I would like to welcome you to UC Migration Week and Ask the Expert.  I am the Program Lead for our Drive to Collab Upgrade Program where we are looking to assist our partners and customers in migrating to our latest CUCM versions and take advantage of our latest capabilities and experiences.  Let me know if you have any questions on upgrades, reasons to upgrade, and our programs.

One item I would like to highlight is our Upgrade App.  If you're not familiar with it can help you tremendously with upgrade planning.  This app will essentially check your CUCM enviroment and:

• Inventory key items such as server hardware, phones, and gateways
  • Check software versions and compatibility of key applications (e.g.  Unity Connection, MeetingPlace, CCX, etc)
  • Determine license counts to send to our licensing team
  • Recommend actions required prior to upgrade
  • Provide upgrade procedures specific to your scenario.

Running this app (available for for iPads, Android Tablets, and Windows applications) can save you significant time and help you better prepare for your upgrade.

You can find more details and download the tool at:

http://cucmupgrade.cisco.com/

32 Replies 32

clarkst12
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks for the link to the app.  Question - I run it, put in the information, click Submit ... what is supposed to happen next?  Did it submit something to Cisco and I will eventually see something?  Because after it seemed to work a bit, I'm right back to the first screen and it is blank.  Nothing under Upgrade to UCM10 (which brings up the question ... which UCM version is this assessment take into consideration?) and nothing under My Assessments.

When you submit your information, the app should login the CUCM server you listed and begin pulling report information down.  After it runs, it should automatically take you to an assessment report, after which you can navigate to the different sections (e.g. "Upgrade to 10" should have a 10.x upgrade procedure specific to your scenario).

You will need the login credentials for the CUCM server and be able to connect to that network (on network or through VPN) so it's possible that it's timing out without connecting although you should be seeing an appropriate error message in that scenario.

What application are you running? (Android, iPad or Windows).  If you send some more info to me directly we can try to troubleshoot the issue with you directly.

Thanks,

Jeff

Windows, and struggling with the app.

First, trying to run the app with my standard account made me enter local admin credentials to even run.  I provided all of the credentials for CUCM, UC, UCCx, and IM&P.  It said, "Connecting ... ", "Evaluating ... " etc.  Then it stopped and nothing.

Thinking it may be that I was logged in with one account and provide an admin account on launch ... and that it may be a Windows profile issue.  I logged out and logged back in with admin creds.  Provided everything again.  Now it gets to "Evaluating gateways" and hasn't progressed in over an hour.  Is this normal?  Is there a lot of evaluating going on?

Sorry, just noticed that you said to send directly.  I'll do that as well.

EDIT: nm, I don't see how to send to you directly.

Steve,

You can reach out to me directly at jeou@cisco.com.  The process shouldn't take very long (usually it's a matter of minutes for each server).  What you may want to try is to start with the assessment for CUCM only first (ignoring the other CCX, IM&P) and see if that generates a report.   So login with those credentials and ignore the others.  It should generate a valid assessment (without any app compatibility information).   Once we can verify that works we can see which app it is getting hung up on.

Jeff

SCOTT JORDAN
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question that came up after up after upgrading Call Manager and tried to DRS restore on new hardware about what is deployment type in reference to the DRS guide listed below. I received a deployment type mismatch when i tried to perform a DRS restore on new hardware.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100.pdf

The background:

1. Call Manager upgrade from 8.6 to 10.5.2 and took a DRS backup on UCS 200M2

2. Install fresh bootable 10.5.2 on UCS 220 M3(BE6k) and tried to do a DRS restore and received the error message below about deployment type mismatch.

.DRS restore Unity connections onto BE6K.PNG

Before you restore Cisco Unified Communications Manager, ensure that the hostname, IP address, DNS configuration, and deployment type of the restore matches the hostname, IP address, DNS configuration, and deployment type of the backup file that you want to restore. DRS does not restore across different hostnames, IP addresses, DNS configurations, and deployment types.

Thanks

Scott

Scott,

The deployment type in this case is referring to a BE deployment vs a standard UCM deployment.  You are attempting to restore a standalone UCM onto a BE deployment, so the DRS Restore is preventing that.  The BE6K OVA (specifically the disk size and database size) is different than the standalone UCM.  As such, the DRS restore is preventing the data from being restored.  You will need to deploy a UCM 7500 user OVA to successfully restore your data.  

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

Trad Tobaishat
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Cisco Team,

I have 3 questions:

1) Can we use the PCD to upgrade from CUCM 7.1.5 that is on MCS7845 (was built to have 5000 users but it has 900 users) to migrate to BE6000?

2) When using PCD to upgrade from 7.1 to 10.5 using PCD  and on that process we chose to readdress the CUCM servers for Network migration a Pause will happen. What is this exact Pause for ? Will the Source CUCM shutdown or Restart when running the Network Migration?

3) On one setup we have 5xCUCM 7.1 and we want to upgrade to 10.5 and then change the setup only to 4. Which means I need to migrate only 4 of them. Can I do that with PCD?

Cheers,

Trad

Trad,

1) you may use PCD to migrate your existing 7.1(5) to 10.5 on BE6K (based on user size and device counts), but you must have an ESXi Foundation version or higher such that PCD can interact with the BE6K to perform the ISO install and migrate.  The standard ESXi that ships on a BE6K will not allow API access for PCD.

2) You description indicates that you will use PCD to readdress the CUCM.  If you just readdress and leave the hostname the same, the pause will allow you to change DNS for the new hostname entry.  Also, this pause will allow you to shut down the existing UCM servers to avoid hostname/IP conflicts.  Remember that PCD cannot shut down physical servers...the admin must do that.

3) PCD migrations do not allow you to decrease cluster size.  If you wish to remove a node from an existing cluster, best process would be to remove the server from the 7.1(5) cluster, then proceed with the migration.  This will cause PCD to migrate just 4 nodes and speed up the entire migration process.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Thanks Dan for the reply.

For point number 2 we will use new hostname and ipaddress. Will it be possible to have the new setup running without having any service stop on the 7.1 servers?

How much time does take to migrate a server using PCD?

Trad,

Only if the new servers are installed into a lab network that PCD can connect to ESXi, but the application cannot reach the production network.  But there are other complications too regarding NTP and DNS name resolutions that if you install on a lab network might not work correctly. 

The other choice would be to stage the server installation such that you take the 7.1 production servers off line in a sequence that will allow you to install the 10.x on the pub, TFTP and backup servers, then 'fail' the primary call control to their backup servers, which are now 10.x, then complete the PCD migration of the primary call processing servers.   This would require that you pause after each server is installed so you can take it's production 7.1 server off line.  But this process is manual at the completion of the previous step.  Also, note that phone firmware should be updated on the 7.1 to match the 10.x version.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Dan,

I have just purchased a BE6K and was planning to utilize PCD.  I currently have a publisher and subscriber on MCS 7800's.

My situation mirrors Trad in that I need to go from our physical 7.1(5) CM's to virtual 10.x.  My initial plan was to deploy the PCD ova to our BE6K,  will this now work due to the ESXi that ships with the BE6k?

Also like Trad i was going to use PCD to migrate to 10.x using different host name and IP addresses.  I was assuming i could do this and since our DHCP still points to the CUCM 7.x TFTP server that the phone would continue to be registered to and work with the 7.x system while I had time to test the 10.x.  Is this also a misconception?

Lastly what recourse do we have for using PCD if the ESXi loaded on the BE6k will not allow it to work?

Zac,

The default ESXi that comes with the BE6K is the Hypervisor version, which does not have the API's that PCD needs to do the migration.  You will need at least a Foundation or higher ESXi host.  About the only choice you have for a BE6K with Hypervisor is to get a Foundation or higher license and install it on the BE6K.  Otherwise, PCD will not be able to control the BE6K to perform the migration.

As for new host/IP, that is fine.  You can deploy a new cluster based on the old cluster with new hostnames and IP addresses.  The old cluster will continue working.  Once you have tested and validated the functionality of the new version, then you can change the DHCP Option 150 setting. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

evanmintzer
Level 5
Level 5

Thank you for posting a link to that app - I had not heard about it before. Unfortunately, it appears that the Windows application does not work at all. I entered all the information and it showed that it was looking at my servers but it eventually returned me back to the input page without offering any details. However, I installed the IOS app on my iPad and that worked - even gave me errors when I fat-fingered my password.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: