Move Unity 4.0(4) to Different Server

Js.505050
Level 1
Level 1

Currently installed:

• Unity 4.0(4) on a member 2003 server
  • Exchange 2003 on a second member 2003 server
  • Backup Exec on a third member 2003 server

Desire to move Unity onto a different member server, probably Server 2008 x64. Would the following procedure work?

1. Confirm that you have discs for the currently installed version of Cisco Unity. (Done)

2.  Download and install the latest versions of the following three applications:   (Done)

• Directory Walker (DbWalker)
  • Disaster Recovery tools (DiRT)
  • Uninstall Cisco Unity utility

3. Run DbWalker, and correct all errors that the utility finds. (Done)

4. Back up Cisco Unity data by using the Disaster Recovery Backup tool.

5. Uninstall Cisco Unity by using the Uninstall utility. This is necessary to remove Cisco Unity data from Active Directory (for Exchange 2000) or
the Exchange 5.5 directory.

6. Set up a new Cisco Unity server and install all software

7. Restore Cisco Unity data by using the Disaster Recovery Restore tool and the backup that you made earlier.

Step 4 - Would I just need to backup the SQL database? Do I need to backup subscriber messages? Backup Exec backs up the Information Store daily.

Step 5 - Really? I don't want to lose any subscriber's voicemails or personal vm recordings. Although, I have everyone's stream files backed up.

Step 6 - What about license files? I read that each license file is registered to the current Unity servers MAC address, and that I need to send an e-mail to licensing@cisco.com containing the new Unity servers MAC address.

Please steer me in the right direction.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Couple things here.

1. Unity isn't supported on a 64 bit OS - no plans for that I'm aware of at the moment. 

2. Correct - you don't need to backup messages in that case if they're going to be on the Exchange server.

3. DiRT backup includes all the voice names and greetings in it - they'll be restored.  Uninstalling the old Unity server has no bearing on that - but you'll want to do it to keep things clean (i.e. you don't want bogus primary locations and unused DLs floating around your directory).

4. Correct - they will need to issue you a new license for the new server.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Couple things here.

1. Unity isn't supported on a 64 bit OS - no plans for that I'm aware of at the moment. 

2. Correct - you don't need to backup messages in that case if they're going to be on the Exchange server.

3. DiRT backup includes all the voice names and greetings in it - they'll be restored.  Uninstalling the old Unity server has no bearing on that - but you'll want to do it to keep things clean (i.e. you don't want bogus primary locations and unused DLs floating around your directory).

4. Correct - they will need to issue you a new license for the new server.

Thanks for the quick info!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: