Partition: Customer1 _PT

CSS: Customer1_CSS

Customer 2

Partition: Customer2_PT

CSS: Customer2_CSS

Existing MWI extensions

Partition: VM-Pilot

CSS: Customer1_CSS

I have a CUCM 11.5 with SCCP trunk to Cisco Unity connection 11.5. At the moment I have one "phone system" configured on the CUC with 4 ports and MWI numbers. On the CUCM side I have 4 VMports configured and the MWI is assigned to Customer1_CSS. Now I have a requirement to add phones for another customer and configure voicemail for them. I created a new partition and CSS for the customer2 phones. I am able to leave/retrieve voice messages for the Customer2 phone with my existing setup, however MWI does not work for Customer2 since the existing MWI numbers are in Customer1_CSS. I can create new MWI for Customer2 and add them to Customer2_CSS, but how do I tell CUC to use the two new MWI extensions for the customer2 phones? I see there is an option to add additional "port groups" to existing phone system in CUC, where I can specify the new MWI numbers, but how will CUC know that it has to use these new MWI numbers to set MWI on the customer 2 phones?

Is there a solution to my problem? Do i have to re-create everything (hunt pilot, vm, pilot, vm profile, vm ports, phone system, port groups etc) separately for customer 2??

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you are using a SCCP integration then there are two options:

First, if each customer has their own Phone System/Port Group then when the Port Group is created in CUC you can set the MWI on/off codes for that group. Then in CUCM, you can create additional MWI on/off numbers for each customer with their own CSS specific to the customer.

Second, if all customers use the same Phone System/Port Group then you need to create an All_Customer_CSS in CUCM that includes the partitions for all customers and configure your MWI on/off numbers with that CSS.

In the second scenario, you will probably also want the CSS for the voicemail ports to also have the All_Customer_CSS so that CUC can outdial to numbers in all customers. But keep in mind this second scenario can be problematic if there are overlapping numbers in the two customer bases.

If you are going with scenario 1, which is recommended, then you will need to create additional ports in CUCM and replicate the linegroup/huntlist/huntpilot/vmpilot/vmprofile structure for the new ports. The pilot number can be the same in both cases, with the pilot for customer 1 in the Customer1_pt and the pilot for customer 2 in the Customer2_pt. (And separate MWI on/off in the appropriate PT/CSS for the two customers.)

Then in CUC, you would replicate the Phone System/Port Group structure of Customer 1 for Customer 2. Now that you have two Phone Systems, you can assign PhoneSystem_Customer1 to the mailboxes, callhandlers and directoryhandlers for customer 1 and PhoneSystem_Customer2 to the objects for customer 2.

In current versions of CUC, the number of SCCP ports that you can build is dependent on the size of the OVA . The smallest OVA (200 users) allows you to build up to 16 ports.

Specifications for Virtual Platform Overlays for Currently Shipping Unity Connection Servers

As far as I know, using a SCCP integration with more than one Phone System does not limit you to 100 users per Phone System (as in tenant). I've seen this scenario used when migrating users from one phone system to another where the voicemail was migrated first to Unity Connection, and then they migrated users from the old phone system to the new phones system afterwards.

You can get away with Scenario 1 (two port groups in the same Phone System) as long as there are no overlapping numbers for any objects between the two customers in CUCM or in CUC.

HTH. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Maren

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

I assume what you are looking for is the multi tenant configuration in CUC.

Each tenant has its own set of partition, schedule set, schedule, schedule detail, search space, search space member, phone system, class of service, user template, distribution list, distribution list membership, user operator, call handler template, directory handler, interview handler, call handlers (operator, opening greeting, GoodBye), and routing rules. 

The following configuration objects are shared across multiple tenants:

All the system settings like mailbox store, custom keypad, restriction tables etc. are shared across the multiple tenants.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/administration/guide/10xcucsagx/10xcucsag308.pdf

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

Limitations of Tenant Partitioning

The following is the list of limitations of Tenant Partitioning:

• Each tenant is associated with only one phone system and Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
  • Any other kind of networking like Diginet or VPIM is not supported.
  • There is no way to share ports between multiple tenants. Each tenant has dedicated pool of ports.
  • Overlapping extensions within a tenant is not supported.
  • Any configurations done at the system level is not supported.
  • At least one user in each tenant has to assign role of Greeting administrator so that tenant can customize their greetings.
  • Tenants have to provide users alias as corporate email address to maintain uniqueness of alias across tenants.
  • Single sign-on access feature using OpenAM in Cisco Unity Connection 9.1(2) and earlier releases are not supported with tenant partitioning.
  • SAML SSO (Security Assertion Markup Language Single Sign-On) access feature in Unity Connection 10.0(1) and later releases are not supported with tenant partitioning.
  • Multi-tenancy mode is turned ON if there is any non-tenant user.
  • Each object of tenant (like call handlers, directory handlers) should be mapped to object related to that tenant only.
  • Custom keypad mappings are shared among all tenants.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/design/guide/10xcucdgx/10xcucdg033.html

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!

Hello Rath,

Thanks for the response. I believe so, but I read somewhere that only 100 phones are allowed per tenant with multi-tenant setup. Is that true? One of my tenants already have 100 phones. If they plan on adding few more then would it not work?

Thanks!

Yes, that's what the design guide says us.
Tenant Partitioning is a feature that offers a voice messaging solution for up to 60 tenants where each tenant can have maximum of 100 users on the Cisco Unity Connection 7vCPU OVA

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/11x/design/guide/b_11xcucdg.pdf (Page 61)

Hope this Helps
Cheers
Rath!

If you are using a SCCP integration then there are two options:

First, if each customer has their own Phone System/Port Group then when the Port Group is created in CUC you can set the MWI on/off codes for that group. Then in CUCM, you can create additional MWI on/off numbers for each customer with their own CSS specific to the customer.

Second, if all customers use the same Phone System/Port Group then you need to create an All_Customer_CSS in CUCM that includes the partitions for all customers and configure your MWI on/off numbers with that CSS.

In the second scenario, you will probably also want the CSS for the voicemail ports to also have the All_Customer_CSS so that CUC can outdial to numbers in all customers. But keep in mind this second scenario can be problematic if there are overlapping numbers in the two customer bases.

If you are going with scenario 1, which is recommended, then you will need to create additional ports in CUCM and replicate the linegroup/huntlist/huntpilot/vmpilot/vmprofile structure for the new ports. The pilot number can be the same in both cases, with the pilot for customer 1 in the Customer1_pt and the pilot for customer 2 in the Customer2_pt. (And separate MWI on/off in the appropriate PT/CSS for the two customers.)

Then in CUC, you would replicate the Phone System/Port Group structure of Customer 1 for Customer 2. Now that you have two Phone Systems, you can assign PhoneSystem_Customer1 to the mailboxes, callhandlers and directoryhandlers for customer 1 and PhoneSystem_Customer2 to the objects for customer 2.

In current versions of CUC, the number of SCCP ports that you can build is dependent on the size of the OVA . The smallest OVA (200 users) allows you to build up to 16 ports.

Specifications for Virtual Platform Overlays for Currently Shipping Unity Connection Servers

As far as I know, using a SCCP integration with more than one Phone System does not limit you to 100 users per Phone System (as in tenant). I've seen this scenario used when migrating users from one phone system to another where the voicemail was migrated first to Unity Connection, and then they migrated users from the old phone system to the new phones system afterwards.

You can get away with Scenario 1 (two port groups in the same Phone System) as long as there are no overlapping numbers for any objects between the two customers in CUCM or in CUC.

HTH. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Maren

Hello Maren,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This helps a lot. I would try scenario 2 where each customer has its own phone system and port group in CUC, especially because it makes things easier with overlapping extensions. One thing I wanted to confirm is that I will have to create all the partitions (PT for VM pilot, PT for VM ports, I already have PT for the phones), CSS (VM ports CSS) in the CUCM for the new customer, is that accurate? 

Also I wanted to clarify what you mean by "Now that you have two Phone Systems, you can assign PhoneSystem_Customer1 to the mailboxes, callhandlers and directoryhandlers for customer 1 and PhoneSystem_Customer2 to the objects for customer 2."? Do I have to go to each phone and manually assign phonesystem and port group? With customer one since I had only one phonesystem, i didn't do any assignments myself. Please can you clarify?

Thanks

As for the PT/CSS in CUCM for the second group, you would certainly want the HuntPilot/VoicemailPilot to be in a customer-specific partition. But the ports themselves can all be in the same partition, as long as that partition is not directly dialable by the phones. It is the hunt pilot that will use them. The CSS of the voicemail ports and the CSS of the MWI on/off should be customer-specific as they dial "out" to the customer. The partition for the MWI numbers need to be in the CSS of the voicemail ports.

I didn't mention it before, but once you have the second integration set up with the second Voicemail Pilot, you will also be creating a second Voicemail Profile. It is important that the DNs for Customer1 have the Voicemail Profile that points to their integration (the original pilot going to the original set of ports) and the DNs for Customer2 have the Voicemail Profile that points to their integration (the second pilot going to the second set of ports).

I would encourage you to diagram what you need in CUCM before programming! Keep an eye on what each component needs to "reach out and touch" what other component(s) to make the inbound and outbound call flows successful.

In CUC, on the User Basics page one of the fields is "Phone System". This tells CUC which integration (PhoneSystem) to expect calls to come in on for that user and, more importantly, which integration to use when dialing out to the user either for MWI, transfer, or message notification. You can use the Bulk Edit feature to assign groups of users to the second integration.

Finally, in CUC you get to choose how isolated the two customers are. Do you want them to have the same PT/SS in CUC? Will the two customers have different main greetings or the same? Do you want Directory Handlers to search the entire server or just one customer at at time? These questions will inform you of what other components in CUC may be affected by having a second customer in the system. Again, diagram call flows before you start programming. You won't be sorry.

I hope I didn't just confuse things for you...

Maren

Maren,

I created everything separate for customer 2 (MWI numbers, VM Pilot, VM Profile, Line group, hunt list, hunt pilot, new partition for VM pilot, new partition for vm ports) and I configured CUCM exactly the way I did for customer 1. On the CUC side i created 2nd phonesystem (added new ports and portgroups with the new MWI numbers to match with CUCM). I also created new user template with the new phone system configured on it and used this template for customer 2 phone. I was able to call and leave voice message to customer 2 phone and when I was doing port monitor on the CUC, I saw that it used the correct VM port to leave the message on CUC. However, the MWI light did not come up on the phone. how do I troubleshoot this issue? Should I be able to see if the CUC is trying to send mwi on the port monitor? I did try to look for few secs after I left the message but did not see any action on the port monitor for mwi. 

Thanks

Things to check:

1) Are the MWI numbers the same in CUCM and CUC for each port group? (You said it, but double-check.)

2) Do the MWI on/off numbers in CUCM have a CSS that can reach the appropriate customer group?

3) On that user's account, does the Message Waiting menu show that CUC has an MWI status of "On"?

Yes, you should 'see' CUC dial out to CUCM to sent the MWI code. But it happens in a split second so even if you have a polling interval of 1 second on the Port Monitor in RTMT you can miss it.

Restarting the Conversation Manager Service in CUC may also be required to get everything working.

Maren

Maren,

I was able to figure out the cause of MWI not working and I was able to fix for one user, but I am not sure how to apply that setting so that all users on the customer 2 phone system has it by default.

So when I went to the "user" of the customer 2 phone I am testing with. And then I went to edit-->Messahe waiting indicators. There I saw that the MWI was set to customer1 phone system. Then I unchecked "inherit users extension" box and changed the phonesystem to new customer 2 phonesystem I setup (please see attached). Then the mwi started working. However, I am not sure why this was not set to customer 2 phonesystem even after I used the new user template where phone system is set to new one. Do you know how I can change this setting in one place for all the users that gets associated to the new phonesystem?

Maren,

I was able to figure out that I had to also configure the AXL server communication to call manager from the new phone system I had configured for customer 2. And then use that AXL server communication link to import the users. When I do that then the users MWI phonesystem is automatically set to the phonesystem I created for customer 2.

So I think I am all good now. I will import all the phones and make sure its working as expected.

Thanks a lot for all the amazing help, I really appreciate it!! :)

I'm so glad you got it all working! Truth the told, I teach for a living these days so when I can help someone figure out fixes for their environment that just makes my day.

Maren