cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help understanding basic architectural concepts for Cisco Unified Communications infrastructure

We currently have a VCS-C & VCS-E video infrastructure deployed in our inviroment and will like to add Precense, IM and VoIP. What would be the first steps to take?

4 Replies 4

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marcelo,

With a question as generic as this, there is no single answer. 

I guess the first question is to what client/endpoints do you want to display presence? 

Do you have IM currently or are you just now looking into the IM client? 

What products are you looking to provide or set presence? (Outlook, phone status, IM Client, etc)

So where can you start? 

I would recommend you investigate the Jabber For Everyone offer from Cisco at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/jabber_for_everyone/CUP0_BK_JE526021_00_jabber-for-everyone-solution-overview_chapter_00.html

You should also look at the Cisco CUP Server (8.x) or Cisco IM and Presence Server (9.x). 

Once you understand the basics of IM and Presence, then you can look at incorporating the VCS-C server into the presence server for device status when setting a user's presence. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

Dan;

See answers below, please let me know if you have any other questions.

I guess the first question is to what client/endpoints do you want to display presence? Jabber (video) / Movi / desktop endpoints & voice (phone)

Do you have IM currently or are you just now looking into the IM client? We are currently using Microsoft Link for IM

What products are you looking to provide or set presence? (Outlook, phone status, IM Client, etc) ) Jabber client, Jabber (video) Phone status (voip), jabber client.

So where can you start? The sooner the better! starting with drawing an architecture design that can support Presence, IM, Voice and Video (Jabber) for a total of 10,000 users. Determine what major components will be needed in addition to what we already have in production.

Regards,

Marcelo

Marcelo,

You are asking for a simplification of some rather complex design/setup/interop. 

Focus on the XMPP and presence interop in CUP 8.6.  A good starting point is http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps6837/data_sheet_c78-673825.html

A follow up to that is a more specific deployment recommendation for the CUP (8.5) or IM&P (9.0) can be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_0/english/integration_notes/Federation/Federation.html.

that will explain a bit more of the integration of CUP with the Microsoft Component.

Without going into specifics about your deployment, you will need to understand how products relay presence and how each component in your deployment publishes and receives presence information.  Please review the documents I have included for additional details on their integration.  I am not sure I can help much beyond this without going into your specific deployment requirements.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engieer

Thank you Dan!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: