jfloreszak12
Level 1
Level 1

My plans are the following:

1. Acquired spare mcs 7825 server 

2. Perform DRS restore from an up to date mcs cluster

3. Upgrade the 7825 to 8.x

4. Perform a DRS Backup

5. Restore the DRS back up onto the new pub?

*Step by step on getting the 6k built so that I can do step 5

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is nothing particular required for the 6K, the 6K is just a smaller OVA, but the actual installer, is exactly the same for any enterprise, 6K or 7K CUCM, even for the one you'll restore, it's the same thing.

Depending on the version you are going, and assuming this is not a 5K, you could use PCD to migrate in one step.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

PCD? Not familiar with that...

Prime Collaboration Deployment, you can migrate from MCS to UCS in one step (caveat is you need to go to CUCM 10.0 or 10.5, and specific ESXi licensing), you can search more info on cisco.com if you're interested.

HTH

java

Jaime,

what you mean with "caveat...."? What I have understood is that you need a specif ESXi license to install PCD but you can install PCD in another server that meets requirements instead of installing it on BE6K, right? Any other caveat?

I meant caveat because the default ESXi licensing you get with 6K/7K does not allow you to use PCD, the servers that are going to be used need the APIs that are enabled by the FND license, or any of the VMware licenses.

HTH

java

Sorry Jaime. I need to clarify: do you mean I can not use PCD to upgrade CM  to BE6k with Cisco UC Virt. Hypervisor 5.x?

Or do you mean that I can not install PCD in BE6k but I can install it on another server with the right VMpware licenses?

Thanks

Israel Ramos
Level 4
Level 4

If you migrating from  MCS to UCS this link might be useful

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/virtual/CUCM_BK_CF3D71B4_00_cucm_virtual_servers.html

DRS for 8.6

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_6_1/drsag861.html

if you have an HP 7825 you will need a 16GB USB drive in order to upgrade

These release notes are based on following software versions:

Unified CM: 8.6.1.10000-43

Pre-Upgrade Tasks

If you are upgrading software on HP7825H3 or HP7828H3 hardware, ensure that you have a 16GB USB device available to migrate your data to the new system. For Unity Connection and Business Edition 5000, a 128GB external USB device is required.

so we are sitting on CM 7.1.3.30000-1, hardware 7825H3-IPC1, can't  i just do a direct upgrade to 9.1?

7.1(3) to 9.1 is supported and your hardware is supported as well but you might need some extra ram

You mentioned 8.x that is why I thought you were going to 8.x, the external hard drive requirement is still needed when upgrading to 9.1

Hardware compatibility matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/7800-series-media-convergence-servers/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

yeah, I think it might be easier to go to 9.1, also I believe that the be6k will have 9.1 ova and ISOs...I am trying to take the pasth of least resistance.

I would agree!