Replies

need to cancel a failing DiRT backup

electro22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi -

Unity: 4.0(3) SR 1

DiRT: 4.0.3.0

I inadvertantly told DiRT to backup the Exchange mailboxes. Based on our specific setup, the Unity account running the backup does not have the ability to backup the messages.

So now, DiRT is erroring out on every mailbox. The specific message is:

(error):52(Bad file name or number) in procedure bAccountHasMailstoreRights of Form frmMain

The only option is to click OK. Well, I've click OK a few hundred times and everytime I hit OK the same message pops up. I decided to end task on the backup. Well, the DiRT backup is smarter than me :) Once I restart DiRT it picks up right where it left off and displays the error message again.

Is there anyway I can make DiRT forget where it left off and let me start over? This time I'll be sure not to click the box to include mailboxes...

Thanks,

Jaret

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Install the latest DiRT from CiscoUnityTools.com. It checks for the permission and if there is not, then it unchecks the option to backup messages.

The other option is to set permission for the account that you have. See:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/HelpFiles/UnityDisasterRecovery.htm#_Toc65396574

H. M.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Install the latest DiRT from CiscoUnityTools.com. It checks for the permission and if there is not, then it unchecks the option to backup messages.

The other option is to set permission for the account that you have. See:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/HelpFiles/UnityDisasterRecovery.htm#_Toc65396574

H. M.

I have a similar error. I have installed the latest DiRT from A.M. but I still get the error on the backup Unity server. I managed to fix the problem on the Primary Unity server with an uninstall/reinstall. No such luck with the the backup server.

How can I fix?

Thats a little puzzling since that error was a problem finding the file that does the checks for send as receive as rights on the mailstores (SARA.EXE) - if you've installed the latest version (or even one a dozen versions old) this should no longer be a problem. Are you SURE this is the EXACT same error you're getting and not a slightly different error?

Can you check the installation directory where you put the DiRT backup and look for SARA.EXE and SARA.OUT - are either of them there? If not, you haven't installed the latest version into that directory.

if you just need to clear the flag where you've asked it to do a backup of messages at some point and managed to save those settings, then you can uncheck the option by going into the registry - HKLM\Software\Active Voice\Disaster Recovery\Settings\

you'll see four settings there that start with "Backup" - - deleteditems, mailbox, inbox and sentitems - set these all to "0". Then the option to backup messages will be unchecked and when you run DiRT backup it wont attempt to check for messages.

First error I get is:

(error):70(Permission Denied) in procedure bAccountHasMailstoreRights of Form frmMain

Then I get the following:

(error):52(Bad file name or number) in procedure bAccountHasMailstoreRights of Form frmMain

Clicking OK repeatedly goes on endlessly. I have to terminate with TaskMgr.

I reinstalled DiRT - again. No install errors or problems. I did not uninstall first... I did not reboot...

SARA.OUT is dated 12-20-04

SARA.EXE is dated 4-30-03 in both c:\CommServer\Utilities\DisasterRecoveryBackup and ...\...Restore. There's also a 5-4-04 version of SARA.EXE in the MigrateSubscriberData folder.

I regedited the four Backup settings. Only "backupInbox" is set to "1".

Same result: I get the two errors above.

backupinbox is going to need to be set to 0 - the check for mailstore rights will happen if you have any of those set to 1. If you want to get by this you'll have to set them all to 0.

I'd try running ExMerge stand alone and see if you can backup your messages that way... Walking the code I don't see what this could be and I've got a lot of other sites doing backups like this without a hitch so something is funky with rights access in your setup, but right off hand I can't think what it would be.

Here's an update on how we finally fixed this problem. First off, reinstalling DiRT did not help. The registry edit didn't work either because the values kept resetting to 1, no matter what we tried.

So, from Regedit we renamed the ...\Settings folder as follows:

HKLM\Software\Active Voice\Disasterecovery\Settings.old\

When we ran DiRT backup again, we didn't get the repeating error and the DiRT menu appeared. Then we reselected the backup settings (omitting the backup mailstore checkbox this time!). When we executed DiRT, it built a new ...\Settings folder.

Voila! DiRT runs fine now. We're also running DiRT on our backup server as your detailed DiRT instructions advise.

So, thanks for your help. And thanks for improving these tools. Here's a suggestion to prevent this problem: hide the mailstore checkbox in an advanced setting box. Maybe that way trigger happy folks like me will be less likely to create this problem (which always happens at 3am during a maintenance window with a 5am deadline).