Views
Helpful
Replies

Nested/shared call handlers in Unity Connection 8

twyant
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to set up a call handler that is shared between other call handlers?  I've got two call handlers that I would like to be able to call a third call handler (just to play a message) and then drop back to the original call handler.  I've searched the forums and haven't found anything really addressing how to do this.  If I can't do it I'll just create another call handler and have the client record the message twice but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

Tom

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, there’s no concept of “push/pop” or more generally “gosub vs. goto” when transferring control from one handler to another.  All hand offs are “goto” and there’s no way to jump back to whatever object (or conversation) you happened to be at before arriving at a handler.

We had looked into this – I’m familiar with products like the old AVT model where you can do a “push” of the object you’re on before traveling to the next object (their handlers were a bit different but the model was roughly equivalent) and then as an exit action you could issue “pop” to jump back.  This has some power and appeal however it’s very unwieldy given the various paths you can go down to reach a handler (it may be from a routing rule, a direct extension dial by the caller or mapped to a one key rule etc…) – there may or may not be something to “pop” to in that case – in the old AVT model this would essentially dump you back to the opening greeting or “home state” of sorts which sounds very, very odd to the caller.

Anyway – a “breadcrumb” feature of some sort would be handy stuff but implementing it in a safe and usable way is a difficult problem to solve so you’ll have to assume all trips are one way and you’ll have to do separate handlers with separate “return” logic if you want to get back to where you started.

View solution in original post

If you have a bunch of these to do you might want to look at the Audio Text Manager for Connection:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/ATM/ATM.html

it includes the option to create new call handlers using an existing handler (including a copy of its greeting(s)) - can save you some time if there's more than a few of these.

-Jeff

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, there’s no concept of “push/pop” or more generally “gosub vs. goto” when transferring control from one handler to another.  All hand offs are “goto” and there’s no way to jump back to whatever object (or conversation) you happened to be at before arriving at a handler.

We had looked into this – I’m familiar with products like the old AVT model where you can do a “push” of the object you’re on before traveling to the next object (their handlers were a bit different but the model was roughly equivalent) and then as an exit action you could issue “pop” to jump back.  This has some power and appeal however it’s very unwieldy given the various paths you can go down to reach a handler (it may be from a routing rule, a direct extension dial by the caller or mapped to a one key rule etc…) – there may or may not be something to “pop” to in that case – in the old AVT model this would essentially dump you back to the opening greeting or “home state” of sorts which sounds very, very odd to the caller.

Anyway – a “breadcrumb” feature of some sort would be handy stuff but implementing it in a safe and usable way is a difficult problem to solve so you’ll have to assume all trips are one way and you’ll have to do separate handlers with separate “return” logic if you want to get back to where you started.

That's what I was afraid of.  I just set up three call handlers and told the client to record each one with the same greeting.

Thanks!

Tom

If you have a bunch of these to do you might want to look at the Audio Text Manager for Connection:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/ATM/ATM.html

it includes the option to create new call handlers using an existing handler (including a copy of its greeting(s)) - can save you some time if there's more than a few of these.

-Jeff

Sweet!  I'll grab that and get to work!  Thanks!

Tom