Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Migration based on same CUCM Version

Frank Mittrup
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

my customer need to move a cluster into a new DC with new IP's. I already used PCD successful in the past with a network migration including CUCM upgrade. This time the customer is already on 11.5 and we want to stay with this version. Did some testing with the latest PCD and see that all migrations 11.5SU3 -> 11.5SU3 /12 -> 12 are failing with the error described in CSCuv39301. But the bug is just matching from the error message which pops up. By the way, tested the same version migration not just once, failing all the time. Root cluster in my test setup is an empty cluster (fresh installed).

The Administartion Guide seem to allow the Migraiton on the same version:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/12_0_1/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-121a/cucm_b_pcd-admin-guide-121a_chapter_011.html#reference_B2DD4B744F587D4B042403AF12B77B50

The migration from 11.5 to 12 just works fine with PCD.

Main question, is the Network Migration with IP-Address change supported on the same CUCM Version?

What else could cause the issue?

Thanks,

Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Frank,

Ideally it is possible to do the migration to same version from PCD by design. But there is a breakage on this from 11.0 UC applications due to some changes introduced in 11.0 UC applications.

We have raised a defect CSCvg33737 on the concern team which they are working on and the support would be available from 12.5 UC applications.

For now, if the version being used is 11.0 and above (for both source and destination) then  performing the migration where source and destination being same  is not supported due to the above mentioned reason. If the version being used is below 11.0 , then performing the migration where source and destination being same  is supported.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not AFAIK, the migration involves moving+upgrade as far as PCD is concerned, not just moving to the same release.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

wsteahr01
Level 1
Level 1

A coworker of mine also found that same PCD limitation Frank. 

I would consider using the SCP method to simply copy the datastore files from one host to the new one. Enabling ssh client/server on each host is the only pre-req. I've used that in the past with fresh installs that just needed to move hosts. Over a gigabit connection they copy pretty fast. Otherwise you could also use a tool like VEEAM or Vcenter. Just make sure to turn off the VM before moving it.

Hi Frank,

Ideally it is possible to do the migration to same version from PCD by design. But there is a breakage on this from 11.0 UC applications due to some changes introduced in 11.0 UC applications.

We have raised a defect CSCvg33737 on the concern team which they are working on and the support would be available from 12.5 UC applications.

For now, if the version being used is 11.0 and above (for both source and destination) then  performing the migration where source and destination being same  is not supported due to the above mentioned reason. If the version being used is below 11.0 , then performing the migration where source and destination being same  is supported.

Hi wsteahr01,

we also thought about that but we have a multi-server cluster spread across 2 DC at a big customer. Here you need to copy the cluster, bring it up again on the old IP's in a separated network with all servers in sync across the DC before changing IP's. In my case I have to do this twice because they want to test the new location first before going live that the process has to be done after testing again.

This is much more afford than just using PCD network migration. Hope that CSCvg33737 will be fixed soon.

In case this helps someone else, we recently had a similar customer situation where we needed to do a migration with PCD to new IP addressing but the same version (11.5 SU1 to 11.5 SU1). We hit the same PCD bug and our workaround was to do the migration from 11.5 SU1 to 11.5 SU2.

It was necessary for us to do it this way since we did not have the ability to build an "isolated" environment in this situation.

Hi Jonathan,

wondering that this will work for you as in my case I went into a failure on every 11.5.x to 11.5.x network migration. Not sure about 11.0 to 11.5. I'm now migrating from 10.5 to 11.5.

Frank

Yes we had no issues going from 11.5 SU1 to 11.5 SU2 for CUCM. However I should note that PCD did have issues migrating IM&P. For us it was easier to just rebuild IM&P from scratch on the new cluster.

Hi Jonathan,

If that is the case, I am trying to migrate from 11.5.1 to 11.5.1 SU2.  Since 11.5.1SU2 is a non bootable image, how we can use this image for migration in PCD since PCD will install the software before it migrates ?

Thanks

Venkkatesh L