cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New CUCM 8.5 on C210 - Can you use a 7.1.X DR to configure ?

keanej
Level 3
Level 3

I have a new UCS C210 M2 box, I have a working call manager cluster on 7.1.5 on MCS servers (I recently upgraded CUCM and Unity connection to 7.1.5)

I would like to migrate over to the new hardware - but I understand 7.X isnt valid for VM, also my older MCS servers are not up to spec to run CUCM 8.5

- I believe they will bomb out on installation due to a hardware check.

What would you suggest for migration ????

I could Install a fresh 8.5 VM on the C210 box and configure from sctrach but this seems like a huge task.

Is there any way I could use a DR recovery of the existing 7.1.5 version to configure the 8.5 version on the new servers ???

I have a UCCS contract so licensing is not an issue.

Many thanks in advance

James

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are several servers which are supported for bridged upgrade (you can only upgrade, DRS and then restore on UCS, not supported for production)

Maybe your server works for that.

Supported Servers for Releases of Cisco Unified  Communications Manager (including Business Edition 3000 / 5000 / 6000  and Session Manager Edition) and Cisco Intercompany Media Engine

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

DRS/BARS rule remain the same, backup and restore need to be done using the EXACT SAME VERSION.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

So am I correct in tinking that the only way this can happen is ...

Take a backup of the live 7.1.5 publisher

- re-ip the most powerful MCS box I have to be the publisher (not on the network)

- restore my 7.1.5 onto this box (not on the network)

- upgrade this box to 8.5 (not on the network)

I now have a config / MCS box at 8.5.

- take a DR Backup of this box

- restore it onto a VM on the C210 box.

Repeat this process for the two subscribers - using this 'bridge' hardware.

Yes, that's correct, but since you already have the SUBs within the PUB's config it might be easier to just install those servers directly on UCS and as they will pull the DB from the PUB there's no real need to do a restore of them and go thru the whole process of using another HW for them.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can go this route, although its not officially supported by TAC.

Load 7.1.5 in VM (doesnt have to be your C210, can be workstation)

DRS restore from your production 7.1.5

in place upgrade to 8.5

DRS backup

DRS restore onto your UCS C210 8.5 CUCM install. 

The trick is that you do not want to use the same version you did for the in place upgrade.  The platform wipes out the partitions and does not place them in the correct spot depending on how your C210 is setup.

Its NOT supported... but it does work.    We keep running into customers not having MCS bridge servers anywhere.

Use the same hostname/IP address also.   

Tommer,

Can this process also work on B series?  If so, what's the trick?  I just tried and it bombed.

Were trying to go to 8.5 or 9.1?   The new "Jump Process" is now supported, but depending on what you are coming from and where you are going to.   It really is only support when going to 9.1 by TAC.  Id stay far far away from 8.5 if you can.

So you DRS 7.1.5 and restored to a VMware workstation or ESXi host?   then updated to 8.X or 9.X?   Once you upgrade, you should be able to DRS it out, then install the same version on the B series and DRS restore.

If you are bombing, there should be at least some sort of error showing why it bombed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: