cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New sys admin needs help!

devine
Level 1
Level 1

I have found myself in charge of a Cisco phone system that is completely Greek to me. It consists of a MCS 7800 Media Convergence Server, utilizing CM v 6.1. I need to understand day-to-day operations - how to add a new user, modify exisitng etc. But most importantly, I have made some modification to my account and now my phone doesn't work! My phone itself looks to have reverted to the default screen - it still has our company name on it, but nothing else. If I try to dial, I get the errror "Error Pass Limit". I have done some research on that, only to find information pointing towards call limits and unused DN's. I think the latter is my issue, but I want to claim the DN that was associated with the phone. This all started because I was trying to change the name that appeared on the phone from my predecessor's to my own. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.                   

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The "Error Pass Limit" is probably the result of you disassociating the Directory Number (DN) from the device. On the Device Configuration page you will see an Association Information section (left column). If it says Line [1] - Add a new DN then the phone has no DN for you to make calls with, thus the error. Click on it and enter at least these fields:

• Directory Number
  • Partition (look at other phones for comparison). After you specify these two things the page will refresh. Unless you totally deleted your DN half of the information will be pre-populated.
  • ...assuming you didn't delete it completely.
  • Display and ASCII Display (aka Internal Caller ID name)
  • Line Text Label and ASCII Line Text Label (what appears on the phone display)
  • External Phone Number Mask (aka External Caller ID Number)
  • Users Associated with Line
  • Press Save; the phone will restart.

As for training:

http://www.skyline-ats.com/Corporate/Training/T_CourseDetailClass.php?ClassId=1118

http://www.skyline-ats.com/Corporate/Training/T_CourseDetailClass.php?ClassId=1119

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

Calling permissions are determined by the Device and/or Line Calling Search Space (this field appears on both the Device and DN Configuration page). Do a quick stare&compare with a working phone *in the same office location* and see if your CSS is set properly. Comparing against another phone/DN in the same location matters because the CSS also controls how calls are routed OffNet.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

devine
Level 1
Level 1

I should probably clarify what I am looking for here. I do not expect anyone to fix this for me (although I wouldn't refuse advice), but rather guidance on where to turn. I have managed phone systems before - I have more than 15 years experience as a sys admin, but this Cisco guy is a different animal and seemingly, counter-intuitive. The user manuals I find online read like, well user's manuals. They are convoluted and unclear. Thank you!

I would suggest you engage with a Cisco Gold Partner who can offer you a proposal to upgrade your current system (6.x is quite old), upgrade you to UCS servers (MCS may not support the new SW), check the status of your Licensing and migrate you before the currently running promotions expire, explain to you all the new features of release 7,8, and 9 so you can see how you can increase efficiency and productivity, and build in some training hours to show you how to manage your system.  Even train your end users on the new SW.  Then you can try to get some training, which would be more relevant and make much more sense.

The alternative is to go take lots of training, which you wont find on version 6, and come back to realize the system you inherited is old, most of the current hot collaboration topics arent available on your system, which needs to be upgraded and I would bet not maintained with licenses.

Depending on your geo, you can find partners using partner locator tool.

You might be right Steven. For today, right now, I'd like to get my phone working again. Any ideas?

What type of training does one receive when they have a system like this implemented?

The "Error Pass Limit" is probably the result of you disassociating the Directory Number (DN) from the device. On the Device Configuration page you will see an Association Information section (left column). If it says Line [1] - Add a new DN then the phone has no DN for you to make calls with, thus the error. Click on it and enter at least these fields:

• Directory Number
  • Partition (look at other phones for comparison). After you specify these two things the page will refresh. Unless you totally deleted your DN half of the information will be pre-populated.
  • ...assuming you didn't delete it completely.
  • Display and ASCII Display (aka Internal Caller ID name)
  • Line Text Label and ASCII Line Text Label (what appears on the phone display)
  • External Phone Number Mask (aka External Caller ID Number)
  • Users Associated with Line
  • Press Save; the phone will restart.

As for training:

http://www.skyline-ats.com/Corporate/Training/T_CourseDetailClass.php?ClassId=1118

http://www.skyline-ats.com/Corporate/Training/T_CourseDetailClass.php?ClassId=1119

That's great - my phone now works and the LCD looks right, but I cannot make calls outside the company now.

Calling permissions are determined by the Device and/or Line Calling Search Space (this field appears on both the Device and DN Configuration page). Do a quick stare&compare with a working phone *in the same office location* and see if your CSS is set properly. Comparing against another phone/DN in the same location matters because the CSS also controls how calls are routed OffNet.