Views
Helpful
Replies

nm-cue start-up failed

marcfuhrmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have a 2821 with a nm-cue. Due to a power-cycle without shutdown of the device, it will not start-up again.

After a reload or reset command the status comes up as failed after some minutes!

Is it possible to repair by myself, or do i have to send it back to Cisco?

Thanks in advance

Marc Fuhrmann

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hmm. Is the username/password coming from the router side (line configuration if configured for aaa, etc)? Try doing a 'no aaa new-model' briefly on router side and sessioning in if router is configured to authenticate on that line. I have seen the session login give a hard time if the CUE is constantly rebooting or spitting output out while the username/password prompt from router is prompting.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

If you session into the CUE does anything happen? You should get connected hopefully but may not see anything.

Keep the sesssion connection open, then telnet into the router again and reset the CUE session and on your CUE session hopefully you'll see output of it rebooting, etc and catch a error.

Thanks for fast response.

Tried that. Connection is always refured by remote host. So i can not session the nm-cue.

I can go from failed to shutdown. After a reset it says: recovering from an error, for a couple of minutes. After that, it trys to recover from shutdown.

The status failed seams to come from a timeout of the start-up routine. It takes approx 10 min from reset to failed.

BTW.: Using IOS 12.4XC1, NM-CUE 2.2.2, ISR2821

Thanks in advance

Marc

Did you try clearing the session from router command line?

service-module service-enging slot/port session clear

Also, do a 'show line' on router and see if line 194 has a * next to it. If it has a * that means it is in use. If you clear the session like above and it shows in use still that is weird. Anyone else connected to it? NM-CUE may be another line number and not 194.

I have seen the AIM-CUEs get in a constant reboot cycle due to the flash on AIM-CUEs getting to filled up and or corrupt flash, but have been able to watch it through the session and break into the boot helper and recover with the boot-helper image disk cleanup option most of the time. But I haven't seen this myself with NM-CUEs yet.

If you're having trouble with getting session to it, I'd suggest working with TAC. Let us know what came of this problem.

HTH, Erick

Markus Schneider
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd wonder what version this CUE module is running, too. There were some issues prior to 2.0 that would cause issues after an unexpected restart, but since then I haven't really seen many problems with this (can't honestly remember a single instance for that matter).

Thanks for tips.

The NM-CUE has a base version of 2.1 updated to 2.2.2 about 14 days ago.

After i cleared the session line (Line 66 at NM-CUE), I was able to session and put in username and password. I did not get a prompt at any time. So i made a new telnet and a reset to the CUE. Unfortunately there was no output. Not to the session not the syslog.

Isn't there a way to make a console directly to the nm-cue. I would solder a serial connector to the pcb if neccesary. Its like flighing a plane in the dark without any instruments -:(

Thanks for tips.

Marc

Hmm. Is the username/password coming from the router side (line configuration if configured for aaa, etc)? Try doing a 'no aaa new-model' briefly on router side and sessioning in if router is configured to authenticate on that line. I have seen the session login give a hard time if the CUE is constantly rebooting or spitting output out while the username/password prompt from router is prompting.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Nothing worked, so i wanted to check if the service engine module will be recognized at start-up.

Therefore I put the nm-cue to shutdown state, and power-cycled the 2821.

After that I checked the status of the nm-cue, I saw that it is in ready state. I sessioned to the module, and after waiting approx 150 secs I got a prompt of the engine!!!!

I thank you guys for the excellent help and support.

Case Closed!

Glad to help. With the AIM-CUE you see a counter after the bootup stuff counting away until CUE is ready. On AIM-CUE it can count up to 700-800 seconds sometimes. One second at a time.

AIM-CUE usually takes only 240-260. The NM-CUEs may take up to 650-700 seconds.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Yea, 250-300 usually but have seen it take much longer at times. Highest I've seen is in 900's.

thanks for the input, i ran into this today, and rebooting the router with the service-module in shutdown state perfectly

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: